We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 ... a step too far?

Splodge

Likes # 0

Well, I have Windows 7 on one computer and Windows 8 on another. I have spent a few weeks running W8 and FRANKLY, I don't give a damn for W8 but could kiss W7 for its ease of use.

I can be persuaded but I think that Microsoft were looking for a new revenue stream and jumped the gun by releasing a pretty system but not a practical one.

Any rebuttals welcome.

Incidentally, there was no OS on disk included so I would have to buy one to "start again".

With a "transfer cable" and both systems being 64-bit, I am VERY tempted to overwrite the W8 computer and keep it in reserve.

What do you think?

splodge

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I loaded Windows 8 the day it was released and was,initially, bowled over by both it's appearance and speed.

There were some niggles but I overcame those and continued happily using it until it started to dawn on me that I didn't actually want or even need most of the Apps that were available.

When I installed new programs such as Microsoft Office it created the impression of installing a new App on the start page but it was really only a flashy icon, which, if you clicked/pressed it you were taken to the desktop and then Office loaded.

Still I kept on until my PC blew up one day (nothing to do with Windows 8) and I had to get a new one, which came with Windows 7 loaded onto a SSD.

The new computer is seriously fast and I haven't missed Windows 8 one little bit. In fact I am now realising that, although it appeared fast mechanically, it was actually slower to use.

Like this post
Billy999

Likes # 0

Change is inevitable.

Windows 8 look absolutely stunning and I never thought I wouldnt miss my smartphone after installing windows 8. Had there been no whatsapp, I would have thrown my smartphone away. Yes, it's not as easy and windows 7 but it's just a matter of time before we get hold of it. The users who are using Windows for the first time will also like windows 8. It's the way forward and we shouldn't be complaining.

Like this post
savim

Likes # 0

Splodge

Try this it makes W/8 that bit easier to use.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Agree with you though its not for us old timers.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Splodge try this.

W/8 ISO

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...