We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

VM Box problem

ittiandro

Likes # 0

I am on Windows 7, Intel Core i3-2120 CPU. I’ like to install Win 95 as a guest system. I am using the Virtual Box Graphic User Interface v.4.2.6 r82870. Now,in Windows 95 there is ( or was!) a separate boot diskette to be inserted in the physical floppy drive before inserting the OS installation CD. My computer is recent. I have no floppy drive on it and I don’t see any setting in VM Box giving me the option to boot from an image file through a virtual floppy. Neither do I see anything to configure the CD-Rom drive , whether virtual or physical with a path to the image file of the installation disc..

Anyway, going by trial and error, I have created a Virtual Box new machine and configured the Bios as directed. I have burned the image file of the Ms-Dos 6.22 boot disc on a CD and inserted it into the CD-Rom drive. When I power it on, all I get is an error message” ‘Fatal: could not read from the boot medium. System failed.” ( incidentally, the DOS boot disc must be good, because it worked in VMWare and I was even able to install win 95 on it. Unfortunately, I had a H.D. failure. I had to reformat it and I tried for three days to re-install win 95 on VMWare, without success. God knows why. This is why I decided to try Virtual Box, which looks a LLLOT simpler, or may be too simple! Unfortunately, this time I can’t even get it started!

I don’t know if I have the right version of Virtual Box. In their site there are quite a few and I am a bit confused

Thanks

Franco

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Hey buddy, try this:

1:Select a virtual machine by clicking its name in the VirtualBox window.

2: Click the "Machine" menu at the top of the VirtualBox window, and click "Settings."

3:Click the "Storage" category in the settings window.

4: Right-click in the storage tree pane, and click "Add Floppy Controller."

5: Right-click the "Floppy Controller" device, and click "Add Floppy Device."

6:Click the "Choose Disk" button in the prompt window that appears.

7: Navigate to the floppy disk image file on your computer, and double-click it.

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Or have a look at this for step by step

http://thecuriousgeek.org/?p=67

Like this post
ittiandro

Likes # 0

Thank you jamieamunra. O.K. up to step 3 At step 4 in the storage tree the first item is”Controller Floppy ( empty) “. By right clicking on it, I am asked if I want to add a floppy device. I click and then I get to a question prompt “ you are about to add a new floppy drive. Would you like to choose a virtual floppy disk to put in the drive or leave it empy for now?”. Which do I choose? Also, I can’t see a “ Choose disk” prompt.

Thanks

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Hey buddy, did you create the virtual floppy disk image? You can leave it empty for now then browse to the location of the.img file before you power on the VM.

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

To Select the Image just click on the Green "Plus sign & disk" on the right next to the "controller:Floppy" in your Storage tree then Choose disk image.

Like this post
ittiandro

Likes # 0

Thank you jamieamura.

When I click on the “ Green Plus sign” I am prompted to choose “ create disk” or “leave it empty”. If I select “Choose disk”, I get a screen prompting me to choose a virtual floppy disk file. This screen is empty. Only if I select “ all files” do I get the screen populated with 4 files (Vbox, VBoxlog.1, Vboxlog.2 and Vboxlog.3. But I don't think these are the files needed. This is all. What do I do?

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

OK first you have to create the .img file that is the virtual floppy disk image from the Win95 boot disk files. you can use something like WinImage http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm Once you have created the boot disk image mount it into the virtual floppy drive that you created in your virtual Windows 95 machine by following my previous steps. Good luck

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Or download the boot disk image from here

http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/95.html

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad