We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W8 boots into an unresponsive screen (apps just 'hang')

georgemackey86

Likes # 0

I have both the Vista/W7 32-bit upgrade version running on a SATA2 HDD, & the 64-bit full Pro version running on a SATA3 SSD. I always disconnect one before running the other. In both cases, W8 will boot up normally, & I can go straight into the desktop screen without problems. However, about 1 in 3 times, the apps just hang & it either boots into an empty desktop, or the apps tiles depress & do nothing. I have reloaded both versions several times & eliminated driver issues by testing after each driver installation, but it happens without any programmes being installed, other than those that W8 installs. I have an AMD 3.3Ghz 6-core CPU on a Gigabyte 940 motherboard with 8Gb of RAM. I have tried Bios revisions up to the latest version without any changes to the problem. Can someone enlighten me with regard to this problem please?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Have you tried turning off Fast Start Up? Click Here

Like this post
georgemackey86

Likes # 0

I would like to thank chub_tor for the excellent advice. I returned home yesterday & my PC 'hung' straight away. After I got it started, I disabled the fast start up & it has started up normally (if a bit slower!) since then.

I have turned the fast start off on my 32-bit & 64-bit platforms to stabilise them. If this problem is specific to W8 & is not PC related, I hope that Microsoft know & are addressing it. There isn't much help on this subject out there, & it can be frustrating trying to get good advice such as this!

George

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers