We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless adapter shown but no connection

johndap

Likes # 0

Hi I have rescued an Advent laptop from the dead. Initially I loaded Linux on which I was able to use the built in wireless connection. I have since reinstalled Vista (not from the original installation disc) and I cannot get the wireless connection to work. Device Manager shows '802.11g Mini Card Wireless Adapter' and I have searched for an up to date driver which I am assured I have. However 'Connect to a network'only shows the PPPoE connection. I have looked in vain on line for an answer. Help please.

John

Like this post
johndap

Likes # 0

Thanks for your patience. I have Service Pack 2 installed. The WiFi indicator is indeed on the left with an on/off switch below it. The indicator goes on/off with the switch but the wireless connection never appears in the Connect to a network box. In Device Manager there is no box to uncheck, as mentioned it says 'this device is working properly' Looks like I am down for a Dongle!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I wonder if the Wireless Zero Configuration has become disabled during the install. This article explains the steps you need to take to check this.

If all else fails and you go down the route of external usb wireless adapter, I have this Edimax on one pc and it works very well - on special offer at Amazon at the moment.

Like this post
johndap

Likes # 0

The configuration was in manual set to automatic sadly that didn't work.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Is there any other wireless software on the pc that could be conflicting?

Possibly as a last resort you could try this that I have seen on another forum-

Start menu > Run > type services.msc > find Event Log > Right click > Properties > set start-up type to Automatic > Restart PC

Like this post
johndap

Likes # 0

No there is no other wireless software.

I didn't have much luck with the other route. Under services.msc I do not see event log listed. You have tried really hard to solve this and I appreciate that but I think it is time to give up

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I think you are right - usb wireless adapter may be the way to go.

Like this post
Moonsorrow

Likes # 0

open Device Manager, press the right side of the Mouse for 802.11g Mini Card Wireless Adapter's properties, press Advanced and then finally press Bluetooth collaboration ans wait until u get blue double screen icon in the notification area. That will adjust your network to enable the system seeing that u r connected on the internet

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED