We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

turning w8 off or send to sleep

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

at the end of the day do you shut down as in prev windows or leave in the sleep mode with only the memory running in the background, till you use it next day.

just wondered what w8 users prefer.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I usually switch it off as it starts quick enough for me.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I also turn it off at night, as Jock1e says boot up is very fast for Win8 and I happen to think that a re-boot every now and then is a good thing as it clears out a bunch of temp files and some non-essential running processes. And I am glad I did the night before last as we had a powerful lighting and thunderstorm which might have affected the PC if I had left it on.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Never have liked 'sleep' mode or hibernate. Laptops set to shutdown if lid closed. Always shutdown desktop and as above Win 8 boots up faster than any previous Windows OS.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

chub i can vouch for lightning frying a pc had it back in vista era. been reading loads on the web re w8, apart from metro squares looks good and limited mediaplayer.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

sunnystaines , get to know the tiles before you mangle 8 with third party offerings. You might like the setup. I was sceptical at first but after a few hours of getting to know the OS I wouldn't dream of getting rid of the start page.

Some useful apps that work well on the Start page, G-Maps, Weather (for local or other places set), Photos, Reader, News, Maps, Notification of emails, but I open them in the desktop, Calendar and a bit of a favourite is Top Gear! Right click on blank space in the Start page then you can see all apps.

You can get Windows Media Centre free up to a certain time limit. Forgot what the limit is just google.

VLC player instead of Windows media player.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The Windows 8 shutdown process irritates some people.

If anyone is interested there's a neat little way of putting an instant shutdown button on the desktop.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thankyou for the feedback

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite