We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MS Office starter and w8

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

does anyone have ms office starter on w8. i have on a net book with w7starter and its dreadfully slow to open and was wondering does it open quickly in w8 or is it made slow on purpose to get people to upgrade to paid versions.

also does windows 8 have its own built in pdf reader, therefore no need for foxit/adobe reader etc.

i have a retail upgrade of full office xp [needs office 2000 installed first before it will install] would these work in w8 i have the discs for both.

[still looking at laptop specs, not keen to buy another sony but went in thier store today and the laptops were extremely fast.

Like this post
markwillium

Likes # 0

I have not used it on windows 8. As Microsoft suggests that "If you don't install the latest version of Microsoft Office Starter 2010 on your Windows 7 PC before upgrading to Windows 8, you won't be able to use it after the operating system upgrade is complete."

There are so many alternative of MS Office starter like Libre office, Open Office & many more. There are good enough to do your activities.

Ref: http://www.neowin.net/news/how-to-get-office-starter-2010-working-on-windows-8 http://about-word-document-corruption.blogspot.in/2012/11/how-to-repair-and-recover-text-from.html

Thanks, Mark

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

Foxit is a bit iffy at the moment not sure if the latest update fixed it or not.

It is compatible for most windows but leaves out W/8 and although it works I would leave it for a while before you download it.

I removed it as it was reported to have a bug in it in my Firefox Add ons and although a recent update fixed it I thought it better to remove it.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

mark read your link re starter 2010 it mention two versions does the earlier version not update via microsoft updates to the later one.

i got my copy from a microsoft download link [saved to a folder]so i presume i could just reload it onto w8 if req'd. bad news they are scrapping the starter version for 2013 it covered all our excel and word needs.

i presume no pdf reader in w8, sure i read somewhere there was, must have got it wrong.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...