We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I download Windows 8 without having to pay again.

csmith1000

Likes # 0

I upgraded my system to Windows 8 but then after various problems had to restore my machine to Windows 7. I can't find a way to reinstall Windows 8 without ordering and paying another £25. I have my activation key but didn't get back up software and can't find a W8 download file in my downloads.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try this.

Windows 8

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

When you say that you had to restore your computer to Windows 7, do you mean that you used the system restore media that came with your computer?

If you previously upgraded the machine using the activation key you may find that a new installation using the method linked to by Jock1e will fail to activate because the activation server already has a record of the previous installation. It's certainly worth a try though.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is the method I chose, http://www.intowindows.com/download-windows-8-iso-from-microsoft-using-product-key/

You can either install directly or create an iso file to burn to DVD.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Nice one rdave13.

I burnt the ISO File to DVD which should come in handy at a later date.Thanks.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

csmith1000

The best way to install W/8 is a clean install without taking files and folders with you.You get less problems that way.

It would mean that you would loose everything that you had on W/7.

Or you can take the files and folders with you and hope everything works Ok.

I took the files and folders with me and ended up having to install W/8 again without them.

Like this post
csmith1000

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone for the advice. Biggest problem being that when things go wrong there seems to be a multiplying effect. Yes I restored from my system media. I thought I backed up all my documents including the outlook files. Only I can't find my outlook files hence no email from Microsoft. So struggle with the link from RDave13. I do have my W8 activation key. I don't have a link to download Windows 8 setup file, anybody know what this?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Like this post
csmith1000

Likes # 0

Thanks for that but final blow it won't recognise my product key which I copied and pasted into a word document. No matter how I enter it it remains greyed out. Am I heading for another £25.00 now?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Can you download it without entering the keycode.Once up and running you can then try and enter the kecode.And if it still does not work there is a free phone number for Microsoft Uk that you can use to have it verified.

When you downloaded W/7 again did you put the W/7 keycde on that.If not maybe that is why you are having some problems.

Like this post
Billy999

Likes # 0

I have a similar query. I installed windows 8 last week but my HDD has now died. I have the activation key.

Will my windows not get activated again?

Don't tell me!

What can I do..Please Help!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good