We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Quickly locking a laptop

eem2am

Likes # 0

Hello,

I will soon be taking my laptop to use at work, and I know that its common for people to mess with people’s laptops whilst theyre not looking……do you know any shortcut keys for “Lock” so that I can quickly lock it if I have to leave the laptop for some reason?

Also, do you know how i can set it to automatically lock after say just 1 minute of non use?

I am running windows 7 on a Toshiba satellite C650D laptop

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Press the Windows key + L to lock the computer.

Or

Open Screen Saver Settings by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking 'Appearance and Personalisation', clicking 'Personalisation', and then clicking 'Screen Saver'.

Select the 'On resume, require logon' check box, set a time after which to start the screen saver, and then click Apply. (Choose a wait time that's not long enough for an unauthorised person to use your computer, but not so short that if you are idle for a moment, the screen saver locks your computer.)

If Fast User Switching is turned on, select the On resume, display logon screen check box.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen