We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Preparing to configure Windows (8) Do not turn off your computer

romaneagle

Likes # 0

Stuck on this opening page - can anyone please help me!

It loaded up o.k. but when I tried to update eight of the drivers (shown by a scan to be old, I got this message and it runs for hours!

Thanks in anticipation!

Romaneagle

Like this post
romaneagle

Likes # 0

Holding down the Shift key and tapping the F8 key definitely works - it is hit and missy - but I have managed to access W8 Recovery Mode twice up to now - but my advice is to PERSEVERE! The first time I tried to access Safe mode, but possibly due to my problems (drivers) it didn't work for me, so I switched off. The second time I tried System Restore (point)- it asked for my password, which I gave, but it rejected it(I had changed the password for W8, so tried the previous one, which it rejected also, I think it needed the Administrator's p/word. I gave it further thought after switching off again, and currently I am trying to access Recovery mode. I have an idea that I want to try. So that is the current situation. The Shift key + F8 key really works, not every time, but as I said persevere. Hoping that this is helpful to followers of this Forum topic.

I will keep you posted with my progress.

Like this post
romaneagle

Likes # 0

Holding down the Shift key and tapping the F8 key definitely works - it is hit and missy - but I have managed to access W8 Recovery Mode twice up to now - but my advice is to PERSEVERE! The first time I tried to access Safe mode, but possibly due to my problems (drivers) it didn't work for me, so I switched off. The second time I tried System Restore (point)- it asked for my password, which I gave, but it rejected it(I had changed the password for W8, so tried the previous one, which it rejected also, I think it needed the Administrator's p/word. I gave it further thought after switching off again, and currently I am trying to access Recovery mode. I have an idea that I want to try. So that is the current situation. The Shift key + F8 key really works, not every time, but as I said persevere. Hoping that this is helpful to followers of this Forum topic.

Like this post
romaneagle

Likes # 0

Like this post
romaneagle

Likes # 0

I think that, at last, I may have cracked my problem with W8. After several duff starts, I have managed to access (using the method Shift/F8 keys) to access Restore Points - I am now on "Finalising file restore" point in the program.

I hope this will encourage other Forum users with similar problems to overcome their difficulties.

However, a big, big, THANKYOU to rdave13, who made it all possible - you are a star! And a great asset to PC Advisor Forums!

Sincerely,

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thank you but I just put out some pointers only. You did the work and I hope it turns out OK. Just dump these 'auto driver update' programs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert