We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Security Essentials= Question

igk

Likes # 0

This usually updates about 2 times a day but the last time I manually updated was two days ago Saturday,I have tried several times today Monday and it says no updates,anyone else having this as this is very unusual.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Just an update. I can confirm that MSE does update automatically but it is not very efficient. It took over 2 days for the machine to do the update automatically and I know there were several in the intervening time.

I have now set up an update in Scheduler to do an update on boot so at least I will be up to date every time I use the laptop. This was really quite important as sometimes the laptop does not get used for several days at a time.

Only thing I now need to do is to find out how to run it minimised although the DOS box isn't on screen for more than a minute or so.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Just to update.

I can confirm that MSE does update automatically even if Windows Update is not set to download updates automatically. However it took over 2 days on my laptop above before it did so. This is not very satisfactory as a laptop might not get used for several days and if it takes another two days the definitions could be too old tom protect the laptop.

I have now set up an update schedule in Windows Scheduler so it updates at every boot.

Only problem now is to find out how to run it minimised from within scheduler but then again the DOS Box is only visible for around a minute so not a problem really

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Sorry for the double posting. The first one did not show up so I did it again. Then they both showed up. GIGO

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Solved it by the following:

Create a start up update in Scheduler.

Edit the properties to show the "General" Tab Change the User or Group to System in the box "Enter Object Name".

This stops the cmd window from showing.

Can also set it to repeat at whatever interval you wish. Ignore the drop down box which only gives a few alternatives. Just enter what you want, ie 6 hours.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July