We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Security Essentials= Question

igk

Likes # 0

This usually updates about 2 times a day but the last time I manually updated was two days ago Saturday,I have tried several times today Monday and it says no updates,anyone else having this as this is very unusual.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It updates automatically through Windows Updates.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Latest is 1.143.176.o dated 19/1/13

Jock1e. What if you have set Windows Updates to advise but not download updates. The update tab on MSE says that definitions are updated automatically but if it is done through Windows Updates set up as above then I'm not sure if it will work automatically. What is your take on this.

Like this post
igk

Likes # 0

Thanks for the interest on this,I always update manually about twice a day and usually things get updated although there does seem to be a longer gap for updates at weekends, and also it can come up for updates in the windows updates when checking this,I have tried two other pcs and they both will not update the last was available on Saturday as I said before,just tried again nothing there..

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Now 143.3.383.0

These updates come from the USA and they are several hours behind us in Redmond on the West Coast

Like this post
igk

Likes # 0

At 9pm gmt today 21st It allowed me to update when it had finished I note that the definition file details had NOT changed even though it stated that it was downloading and then initialising the definition file details are: Definitions created on the 19/01/2013 at 20:10 Virus definition version 1.143.387.0 and the spyware definition version the same.It also tells me that the definitions have not been recently updated and I should update now to help protect your PC !!!! there must be a problem somewhere. At 10.30pm gmt I tried again and exactly the same thing happened as above with the same definition files !!!!!!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Like this post
igk

Likes # 0

Jock1e thanks for the info,I just updated again and it now has a different definition number but still says that it was created on the 19/01/2013 and needs to be updated !!! I will check out your link thanks a lot very helpfull...

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Seems to be sorted this morning. Just updated manually and it shows 1.143.422.0, created 20th updated 22nd. I will monitor it during the day and see what happens

Like this post
igk

Likes # 0

All seems now to be working thanks to all....

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

igk

Do you have Windows update parameters set tu update automatically. I don't as my laptop runs internet from a mobile internet dongle and I don't want it to download updates (especially the monthly Microsoft Updates Tuesday ones)because it would use up too much of the data allowance. I have left the computer to see if it updates MSE automatically and it has not done so up to now. It is still showing 1.143.422.0 and I know that there are later ones as I have just done a Windows reinstall on my netbook and MSE updated through MS Updates to 1.43.620.0.

As far as I can find out Windows update needs to be set to update and download automatically for the MSE to update automatically as well. It is a little ambiguous though as it does say that the definitions are updated automatically on the Update Tab of MSE.

Any clarification would be welcome as to how it is supposed to work.

I have a solution by using Scheduler to do the update but before setting that up just thought I would ask for clarification from others here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made