We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 - Should I notice the difference

woldsweather

Likes # 0

Have upgraded from 7 to 8 this afternoon, and can't tell any difference other than my internet connection keeps falling over every 5 mins which may or may not be connected. I had classic shell installed before I upgraded, so when the upgrade was done my desktop looked exactly as before which is how I like it. According to Microsoft :

Internet Explorer 10 starts and loads sites almost instantly

...but my experience is that it takes at least 5-10 seconds to load most pages, and certainly no quicker than before.

I know most people will recommend firefox or chrome, but they won't keep my favourites open at the side like IE so are a no no.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You should notice a faster boot time, and faster performance generally. Browser performance is dependent on so many variables it's difficult to talk about load speeds without knowing a lot about your specific set of circumstances.

Chrome is my personal favourite as far as browsers go, I like its clean look and its speed; having my favourites in a bar along the top of the page doesn't worry me - no sidebar allows more space for web pages.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Unfortunately when you take files and folders with you when you upgrade it does slow things down a bit.

If you had done a clean upgrade you would probably have found things to be a lot quicker.

I took files and folders with me the first time and had to go back and install it again without taking the files and folders.

Worked a lot better the 2nd time.

Like this post
woldsweather

Likes # 0

SO could have just done a re-install of 7 to speed things up. Can anyone advise what I do when I need to reinstall 8 as I now haven't a copy of the OS?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Click the right sidebar and choose search.Type in Restore and click on services.

You have the choice of a Reinstall or Refresh.

I did the reinstall without taking the files and folders.I understand the refresh does what it says but will remove any programs that you have downloaded since using W/8.

Now I cannot remember if the Reinstall asks for the keycode again.I don't think so but not sure.

They would have e-mailed you a copy of the keycode when you purchased it.Did you not write it down or keep it in your e-mail

Like this post
woldsweather

Likes # 0

Yes I have the serial number, but wondering how I would get another copy if I needed to reinstall.

The reinstall presumably involves reinstalling all my software agin, something I have down three times in the last year with 7 and reall cant face again as it involves many hours and weeks of getting back to normal.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You can create a recovery disc using the same directions as above.Just checked mine and it wants a usb flash drive to download it.

Mine said 2Gb so not sure if you can download that on one DVD or not but it does not give you that choice.

Might come in handy at some time.

I find W/8 is probably that bit quicker than W/7 but just a bit more complicated.

Like this post
woldsweather

Likes # 0

I'm finding Twitter is not working with mt IE 10 is this a known problem?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Never ever used twitter so can't help.

Maybe tick compatibility view under tools to see if that helps.

Like this post
woldsweather

Likes # 0

Now finding Faqcebook not working properly in IE10 - anyone else?

Like this post
woldsweather

Likes # 0

The tools link in Twitter doesn't work either so can't change that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......