We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless USB Adapter & W8

Shari

Likes # 0

My mum has just bought a new pc Compaq CQ2930ea with Windows 8 but when we try to connect her wireless broadband it's saying her wireless usb adapter (TP Link TL-WN821N V3) isn't compatible with this operating platform. Contacted TP Link's customer services and they said it was compatible if we installed their beta drive. Tried saving it to a memory stick and installing from that (as she obviously can't connect to internet), but still can't get it to work. She's only bought the adapter a couple of months ago so is reluctant to buy another, but we've looked online and can't find any that say they're compatible with W8 anyway. We're finding it difficult to navigate around W8 as it is, but are we missing a step? Or does anyone know of any wireless adapters that are compatible? Many thanks

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Is it a laptop,if so she does not need a dongle,just turn the wireless on on the laptop.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry it is a desktop.turn the roter off for 10 seconds and then on again and see if that helps.or check in device manager for problems.not on my computer so sorry for any mistakes.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Can she connect direct to the Router by cable.

Unplug the adapter and plug it back in again.

Go to services in the computer and scroll down to WLAN and make sure it is set to automatic and is running.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Control Panel.Device Manager check for any yellow exclamation marks especially universal serial bus controllers.

While in there check Network adapters to make sure there is a wireless connection.

Like this post
Shari

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestions. Will give them a go. She can't connect via cable as the pc is too far away from the router and phone point. Which is why we got the adapter in the first place. It's taking ages to navigate around the system to find the various areas I need. Why did Microsoft have to make such drastic changes! Not keen on W8 at all so not sure how a 70 year old is going to manage with it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you get it going you can download this.

click here

That will put the start button and all programs back on the computer.

I use it on mine and it makes W8 a lot easier to use.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......