We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

oem disc from MS

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

if i have w8 pre installed, is there an option to get a oem dvd for a nominal price from MS as i would have paid for a licence as part of the pc cost.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Responsibility for providing you with a Windows installation DVD lies with the retailer who sold you the computer, not with Microsoft. A preinstalled OEM version licence doesn't include a DVD however.

Normally the Windows files are written to a hidden partition on the hard drive, and you run a system recovery routine if anything goes wrong. You shouldn't need an OEM disk, because you cannot install the software on another computer.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

FE Thanks for the reply, I was thinking should the hdd go belly up, home made recovery dvd would not work unless it could access the original hdd.

I know a clone back up would be ok, but the OEM would have been handy, that option is now out.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Your computer should have the option to make a restore or similar DVD in case of hard drive failure etc.

As the FE said you can't use it to install on another PC but you could use it in case of a hard drive failure etc.

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've reinstalled via the recovery discs on two Toshiba laptops and one Acer when their hard drives failed and were replaced.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

rdave13

I think sunnystaines might find that - for the first time - there is no Windows license key sticker on his new machine.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Well that's new but not required if installing from the recovery discs?

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Windows key is locked to the Bios, as long as he used recovery disks created from original installation won't be a problem. What make of computer is it, is it a laptop or PC?

regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thanks everyone did not know those facts still on the learning curv.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

been told to get the windows key using 3rd psrty software that will disply it apparently belaric advisor does with w8. once you have the serial key MS will let you download a copy of w8 which you burn as a ISO image. which is more or less the same as a OEM disc.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Belarc doesn't show the correct key with the upgrade disc let alone an OEM version. I doubt very much you can get a third party software to reveal the correct key.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite