We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which of these 3 to get rid of metro

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Classis Shell....StartbuttonX....Startmenu8

are any better than the other any comennts anyone compared them to each other.

[not got w8 yet still genning up for new laptop]

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Smartmenu8 has had a few good wrtite ups and it comes out of Stardock who do have good support. As it is only $4.95 its not that expensive either.

Don't have any actual experience of any but I was researching for the same reason as you.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I use "Classic Shell", which is free, restores the "Start Button" in Windows 8 and allows booting straight into the Desktop, without ever having to see the (IMHO awful) tiles.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I use the same as mgmcc and without it I would have removed W/8 A while ago.

I cannot comment on the other one as I have not tried it.

If you decide to use it let us know how you get on.

If everyone else can do that why can't Microsoft.Remember you may not be able to use Safe mode at boot up using W/8.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Microsoft deliberately removed the option so as to force people to conform to what they see as their best interests in the tablet and phone markets

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

looks like waiting for SP1 to get it fixed.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

We should be so lucky????

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To save you all the hassle(?) of Windows 8 why not buy a laptop without an OS. If you have the Windows 7 retail disc anyway. Novatech sell them but I suppose others do as well. http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/?s=1

Like this post

Likes # 0

rdave used to use novatech a lot but their quality i think is poor these days, not sure if they had a change of owners or not but their own brand stuff just does not last.

Like this post

Likes # 0

I was really against the new Win8 start screen and tiles at first but now am think the metro start screen and tiles are much better than the start orb. Each to there own but really would advise giving Metro a fair try. you can put short cuts to "My Computer", "My Documents" Programs etc. on the start screen if you want. Search is really good just start typing the name of the program or file and it will give you a list of what its found. I do agree that there should be more options for the size of the tiles instead of large or small but I really am not missing the start orb at all any more. So much so that I have upgraded all my PC's (5) and 3 laptops (even the wife is now used to metro and wouldn't switch back) it works really well on my dedicated Home Theatre PC, some of the apps like Music Info and TuneIn (radio) I couldn't live with out any more.

Give it a chance, I did and think you'll grow to appreciate what MS are trying to achieve. If you really won't give it a chance and must have a start menu replacement then classic shell is probably best.

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post

Likes # 0

I use Start8 from Stardock and paid for it after the free trial. I still use the Metro interface when first booting up as I like the immediate access to email and programmes but I find the Win7 style interface that Start8 provides on the desktop is much simpler to use as it has the All Programmes menu with the easy access to Run, Control Panel etc and it can be customised just like Win7.

Chub_tor

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...