We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

does active X matter?

palinka

Likes # 0

An elderly friend who brings me all her computer problems is currently worried about a message that she receives when she receives emails. As follows : "One or more Activex controls could not be displayed because..... ".

I thought we had cured it by changing the security settings on her pc, but not so - she received same message again when she was making a reservation at a hotel., but 4 other emails received at the same time were OK.

I’ve told her to ignore the message ( she is a great fusser) but that I would check it out

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

Usually mail websites do not use activeX. You should avoid using such websites. However, it seems you are using IE. Go to Tools- Options, Go to the Security Tab and choose Default Level for the Internet Zone. That should prompt you for a question to "Run the ActiveX" instead of blocking it. Be careful with allowing ActiveX controls. They could be malicious.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

thanks very much; that's helpful.

I have already advised her to choose default level in IE.

Her OE is vista and she uses Windows Mail.

I will visit her and check on her settings in general.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014