We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Check disk won't stop

Throbber

Likes # 0

I ran a disk check today. It seemed to go as normal, but when it finished my windows 7 pc didn't start. I restarted it, and same happened again - checkdisk had apparently been scheduled, ran, and - nothing. Tried restarting several times, but always the same. Hitting any key didn't stop checkdisk. PC won't start in safe mode. Recovery disk doesn't work. Can't get pc started at all. Any solutions to this?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try my computer.Right click C drive.Properties.Tools. Check.And tick both boxes.

Reboot for it to start again.Once finished it should have cleared any problems and start normally again.

If it does not finish the scan your hard drive could be on the way out.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Your advice will not help as the OP cannot get into Windows not that your suggestion would have any bearing on chkdsk anyway, though you may well be right about the HDD being on it's way out.

If you have your Windows installation disk boot your PC from that CD/DVD and select either Startup Repair or System Restore.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just wondering if removing the Cmos battery for a few minutes then installing it again would also stop chkdsk from running.Or i suppose remove the jumper leads if that's what you call them then putting it back should do the same.

Like this post
rockymast

Likes # 0

Had a similar problem problem. I also got some USN JOURNAL VERIFICATION. But dont know how it was solved on its own. Check if your drive is workinf fine, use this tool and run the test. In my case problem came after running disk degragmentation.

Like this post
Throbber

Likes # 0

Thanks to all. Problem has now fixed itself, I know not how. Like rockymast, the problem arose after running a disk defrag.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good