We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help.no audio on toshiba laptop

dave74

Likes # 0

I have a toshiba satellite pro u400-18s that is only giving any audio on rare occasions which will only be a faint tone.All volumes are up and no mutes are on.I have done a scan which told me I have 33 out of date drivers so I purchased an update which I started to install but my computer notified me it was the wrong one.The only way to stop it repeatedly trying to install things was to uninstall the program,i have since got a refund.The problem is without paying for driver updates again how can you tell whether it will make any difference and who can you trust to not be selling you something that is going to mess up the computer more and is only for there profit as there is a lot of 'help' out there but seemingly not for my benefit.any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Doing a scan for "out of date" drivers will always throw up numerous results but you should only obtain driver updates from a reputable source and without payment, in your case Toshiba. You could try updating your Audio driver via Device Manager. Go to Start - type Device Manager - scroll down list to find Sound,Video & Game Controllers - Expand - right click on your Audio Device and choose Update Driver Software.

OR take a look here enter link description here

Like this post
dave74

Likes # 0

hi,thanks for your help,i've downloaded the sound driver from the toshiba site that you recommended which is on the list of downloads as a compressed file.Is it meant to go onto the computer as an installed program where the birdstep will prompt you to run program? Sorry if this is a stupid question but i'm learning as i stumble along.Thanks again for your patience and help.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If it is a compressed file you will have to right click and select ""extract all" and you should find a setup or .exe file in the list - OR update via Device Manager as per my last post. When you right click choose the option to "Browse my Computer for Driver Software" I am hoping this will be provide a solution.

Like this post
dave74

Likes # 0

hi again,thanks for all your help,i've done what you said and the computer has told me that the best driver for my device is already installed and i've checked by playing a music track whether anything has changed but no luck so maybe it means that it is something more physical and needs a repair if thats possible.The only thing is,is that it did make a faint tone a bit back when i selected an option on a list[i can't remember what]but there are no system tones or music[even though the sound graphics are displaying along with the song.Again any thoughts on this appreciated and thanks again for your help.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

There is always this.Free for 24 hours.enter link description here

I have already posted it on the Helproom but was getting a lot of negative feedback for it so decided to download and install it and it only found one update for me which I ran.

because this is free for 24 hours I would leave it to late at night or early morning to download any updates.

it took about 20 minutes for me to download it and it was only about 4.5 Mb.

I would imagine it is because of all the users getting it free and running it at the same time.

Well worth a try but check Toshiba out first you are more likely to get it there.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried Control panel.Sounds.And it should show you your speakers.

Can you right click on it and press Test.

If it shows more than one set of speakers try the same with the other one.

Whichever one sounds best make that the default.

I am using W/8 and that's how it works on there.

You could go into device manager in the control panel and see if any yellow exclamation marks.If so what.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...