We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Links not opening

wirleyt

Likes # 0

I have just bought a new windows 7 compuiter . So am very new to it When i try topen links or attachmwnt on e mail or go into virtual tours on websites all i am getting is a blank page. I have even had to use another computer to activate the link for my registration wit PC advisor, i used my partners xp computer . Can any one advise what might be wrong. Kind regards Shirley

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Check whether Internet Explorer 9 is the default program for browsing Internet.

a) Open Internet Explorer.

b) Go to Tools.

c) Go to Internet Options.

d) Under Programs Tab, click on Make default and click on OK.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

if IE opens but you only get a blank page - You may need Java to view all the content of the websites you are trying to see. You can test if you have it installed by going to http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp and then clicking on 'Verify java Version'

and Adobe Flash. "Most videos on YouTube are streamed through Adobe Flash player. If you're having trouble playing videos on YouTube, we suggest you install the latest version of the Flash player" YouTube and Flash

Like this post
MrDigital01

Likes # 0

I don't think its matter of java or flash player. I think its due to the website connection which gives the error. Better check the network connection.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Reading the OP's post, he does not appear to have a problem with connection to internet only with viewing the content. as in "or go into virtual tours on websites all i am getting is a blank page"

However for the blank page when clicking on link in email, it's worth checking if IE is opening in 'Offline' mode. (Cog Wheel | Work offline)

Like this post
wirleyt

Likes # 0

Thanks for your suggestions Have loaded java, Still no luck. I am connected to the internet, that is working fine, it is when viewing attachments page or say going into a virtual tour that the blank page appears. Have checked the internet explorer and i am on i e explorer 9. How do i check if the internet is opening offline offline? Firefox is already installed.Any more help would be much appreciated. Oh by the way my computer system is Zoostorm intel cor i5/ 2320

Like this post
wirleyt

Likes # 0

Hi folks thanks for all your suggestions. Have loaded Java still no luck I have checked and i a on IE 9 I am definiteley connected to the internet. Web pages do come up but it is the links for attachments or virtual tours that show a blank page . Could someone tell me how to check if the internet is working offline

My computer system i a zoostorm Look forward to any other help that you can give Regards Shiley

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

A good article from Leo's Answers about Java - is it really needed. enter link description here

I have Windows 7 64bit - everything works for me - I don't have Java installed.

Like this post
buston

Likes # 0

You have my sympathy as have the same problem and have not found a solution despite trying all suggestions. Been working on it all day. Will now contact BTYahoo for advice as the problem only affects emails to my newish W7/IE9 computer; no problem with the old Vista laptop.

Like this post
buston

Likes # 0

Problem solved by downloading Firefox and making it the default browser. There was definitely a fault with IE and widows 7 on my ASUS computer.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Just to add a note: I've gone off Java as 99% websites don't need it and in any case Firefox blocks from using it and flags it as 'Security Risk' in Add-ons.

Read the advice in this thread

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4204244/java-security-exploit-concerns/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014