We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 8 disk

chippy+

Likes # 0

hi i have installed 3 pcs with windows 8 i also got a dvd backup can i use this disk as cean install if need be. i also read that i can only get 1 media center for 1 e-mail address? my 3 pcs are family pcs and they all use the one e-mail address thanks Chippy

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You can use the DVD as a clean install but you can also do it through the charms bar, settings, change pc settings and the general tab. As for the free media centre apply for it three times via three different emails and wait for replies. Have a look at Get your product key here for details and how to install.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

When you installed Windows 8 on 3 computers did you use 3 different product keys? That is the only way to do it legally - the Microsoft terms are as follows:

1. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the "licensed computer." b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer. c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time. d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

If you need more copies of the Media Center then you will need different email addresses.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you mean on a new hard drive or a reformat probably not as it copies all of your drivers etc to W/8 from existing Windows already installed.

I believe if it finds no drivers etc to copy it will not install.

It would be interesting to find out if it would work Ok or not.

At the moment because some of us cannot get into safe mode to fix things we would probably need a W/8 disk to do a repair.

Did you buy the proper upgrade CD or was it one downloaded when upgrade was bought from the internet.

You can always try it and let us know how you get on.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"can i use this disk as cean install if need be."

You can certainly do a clean install with an upgrade version of Windows 8, but you can only use the upgrade software on one computer that has a previous version of Windows installed, as chub_tor has pointed out.

Any further installations will be in breach of the software license, the terms of which are clearly presented to you (and must be accepted by you) before the installation can proceed.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Use the upgrade on one PC. Using the same key again will not work. If original PC goes belly up electronically then use the upgrade disc again as the key will be valid.

Like this post
chippy+

Likes # 0

hi thanks to all

i ordered and paid for all three w8 upgrades from each of my 3 pcs i also ordered a backup disc which i have recieved it seams i nead to setup another to e-mail accounts for another 2 media centers as i have allready applied for 1 and installed same i am with virgin media my wife's name is our e-mail address at the moment wife's "[email protected]" if i change wife's name with other name on each of the other 2pc's will that be ok thanks again sorry it took so long to reply Chippy ps i think windows 8is great give it a try

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You will need another two keys for the other PCs. Why not set-up two email accounts with Microsoft's Outlook.com web mail. Click Here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia