We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lexmark Printer will not complete installation

coinneach

Likes # 0

My XP PC and Windows 7 laptop normally share a Lexmark 1400 series printer successfully, but recently I had to reinstall it after fixing a hardware fault on the WiFi printer. The printer installed perfectly on the PC using the Lexmark disk, but although it appeared to go through the same procedure on the laptop, it failed to record in the Control Panel (Printers and Faxes), and therefore cannot be used. Can anyone bring it to life again for me, please?

coinneach

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

If you want to share a Windows 7 printer with a PC using XP you can do it via the homegroup - you will need to have the printer driver installed on the XP, this will be done when you start the add printer wizard during the process - instructions here.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Control Panel-Devices and Printers-Add a printer should find it. Otherwise try disabling your anti virus and/or removing Adobe Flash before trying the disc.

Or see if there is a newer driver from the Lexmark site.

Like this post
coinneach

Likes # 0

To difarn and xox101, I am grateful to you both for your contributions to my post, but although I have tried your suggested fixes several times I have so far been unsuccessful in solving the problem. I have reinstalled the software from the Lexmark disk onto the Windows 7 laptop, but to no avail. Bearing in mind that the aged printer was installed in the XP PC with no hitches at all, I can't help feeling that the problem arises from trying to get a much more up-to-date computer to accept it. I did in fact get a new driver from Lexmark, but installing it seemed to have no effect. I don't think I shall waste any more time on the project, but will rely on my old XP workhorse to handle all my printing. When that packs up, I'll probably have to get a new printer!

Thanks again, fellas.

coinneach

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It seems strange that they shared it before. Have you tried setting it up so that your windows 7 pc can access the printer via the router?

On the pc with the printer attached - Start, Control Panel, Printers and Faxes

Select printer to be shared and right click on it - select sharing and put a check mark in the "share this printer" - give it a name

Click ok.

On the windows 7 pc, click on Start, Control, Printers and Faxes Select "add a printer", press the next button

choose Network Printer and press Next

Click, Browse for a printer, Next

Find the printer you want to connect to, Next

Follow the onscreen instructions to complete setting up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback