We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mouse is freezing and I cannot sort it?

cjvaco53
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am into day 3 of windows 8 (wishing I had never bought it now) and the mouse has frozen and I cannot do anything to unfreeze it? Any help would be really appreciated, Thank you!

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

What kind of mouse, does it have a battery?

Like this post
cjvaco53

Likes # 0

Thanks SillBill, It is a laptop. I remember when I had a similar problem on my other laptop and someone suggested I remove the battery which I did and it did solve that problem. I have just done the same and it didn't solve the problem so it then dawned on me I had clicked the F5 button which usally refreshes the page but on Windows 8 it disables the mouse so I clicked the F5 again and it is working OK now! I am struggling with this system :( Thank you for your help!

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 1

Glad you found the answer!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Must be your keyboard drivers. I use the generic drivers for my keyboard and F5 does indeed refresh the page. Consult the laptop manufacturers as to why the keyboard driver does this. I suspect they are behind the times.

Nowt to do with 8 just tardiness with the laptop's manufacturers.

Like this post
cjvaco53

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave13, It is a brand new Toshiba laptop so I can't see it being the drivers. It does state the F5 is for disabling the mouse on the very small sheet of piece of paper with a little info on the Windows 8 and I mean a little. I can't find anything else on it as I can even find a manual to help me learn this system, I am not too keen on this system but will have persevere till I get it used to it, Thanks for your response!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

You've just answered your own question. Not the OS's fault but what Toshiba thinks is best for its customers. Win 8 is the best operating system in my humble opinion but it is just a pity well known manufacturing brands of laptops think they know better and tweak the OS for some strange reason.

You should have all the information on your laptop under something called Toshiba management, or similar, and the guide of how to use the laptop, recovery and everything else.

Next time buy a laptop with no OS installed and install whichever OS you wish.

Like this post  
cjvaco53

Likes # 0

That's a great help, Thank you! I will have a look for the info on the laptop tomorrow and see if I can get moving on this system. So far its been a nightmare trying to get around it but I have succeeded with a few so I just need to stick at it and find that info, Cheers :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...