We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 OEM rules prior to activation

robert888

Likes # 0

I have a win 7 OEM disk for 32/64 bit and have installed the 32 bit to check it out. As I have not activated the 32 bit am I ok to replace the 32 bit with the 64 bit? Prior to activation can I install the 32/64 on other PC's until I decide which one to activate the copy on?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Page full of Microsoft official Windows 7 Direct Download Links (Heidoc.net) for .iso's to burn your own DVD's to try out all the flavours you want before any activations. (you can save your oem activation for when you have made your mind up) Scroll down to the English USA section and get ones with SP1 U (media refresh) as they have sp1 on them. You will need a program like the free 'Imgburn' to burn an .iso to DVD.

Entering a product key during installation isn't mandatory. Just click the "Next" button without entering anything, and the Windows 7 Trial will be installed.

Happy playing.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

oops, forgot the link, here it is Heidoc.net

Like this post
robert888

Likes # 0

Iotvi, thanks for the info. However as I have decided to replace my current 32 bit version with a 64 bit will I be allowed to remove the 32 bit and install the 64 bit using the same OEM disc without any problems?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes, you said it's not activated and even if it was and you changed to 64bit and put the product key in and went ahead with activation it would just mean you 'might' have to phone to activate (to explain it was still on same machine) instead of internet auto. When you activate an oem version the motherboard becomes 'tied' to that product key and when the motherboard dies then the oem expires (that's why it's cheaper than a retail version).

You can use your oem w7 dvd's to 'Test Drive' install as a trial on any pc and as many pcs as you want, as I said in previous post you don't have to put the product key in, just click on Next.

Hope you noted the info on the link as that's the bit you can play with, you don't really need to download another copy of w7 as you already have them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer