We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I cant get the updates to install on my new windows 7 laptop

laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I have a new Sony Vaio laptop and every time I log off there are 23 updates to install, it says "do not turn off computer, installing updates" but if I log on and off again even after 5 minutes all these 23 updates need to be installed, I have opened the control panel and chosen a different default time for the automatic updates but every time I log off these updates are showing but they never install - what can be wrong and how can I fix this? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Are you giving them long enough to install they should install properly on shut down and then again at restart.

or have you tried that and they are still not installing.

Maybe try installing them manually say 3 at a time and see if that works.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Yes, I dont take the power off the laptop as it is closing down and it goes through all of the 23/24 updates and then finally shuts down on its own and then when I start it up again, it comes on OK, but if I log off after even 5 minutes on the log off icon there is a little mark in the "shield" icon and then AGAIN I keep getting it showing 23/24 updates to install, I just cant figure it out as it takes a long time on logging off to go through all the list of updates till shutdown but they obviously have not installed if they show up when logging on and off again, just cant figure this out. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Afraid I can't offer a solution, but I have noticed so many Win7 users having similar update problems, including myself, that I think there must be an inherent fault within Win7 regarding updates.

I turned off auto-updates.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

By looking at what the updates actually are I found that they are for Microsoft office XP (which I dont have on this laptop) so I uncrossed the box for updates for Microsoft products on the control panel page for updates, then it downloaded the extra updates and said I am only receiving updates for Windows7, it shut down and then when it re-started it did complete the rest of the install process so I am hoping that I have done the right thing and it wont keep happening again, will be back if it does the same again when I log off, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
MrDigital01

Likes # 0

I dont face any problems because every time the update remains successful. You can try to look the control panel and should have a look at the connections settings.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm beginning to think that MrDigital01 should check his own connection settings as from the majority of his posts he seems to think it is the answer to every problem. I feel duty bound to inform you: The Ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is 42.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good