We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 Pro upgrade on new machine.

Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

I will shortly be acquiring a new PC with no OS and a upgrade version of 'Windows 8 Pro' separately(on media as opposed to a download)

I also have a spare copy of Windows XP Home, which I will effectively be upgrading from.

Will I first have to install the XP on the new PC and then install the upgrade (using the clean install options I have read about elsewhere), or does the upgrade offer the opportunity for installation on a clean HDD and then give me an option to enter proof that I have an XP licence, either by inserting a disk or entering the product key?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

This is by no means a definitive answer, but what what I've experienced with upgrading a laptop from Vista to W7, the OLD OS has to be running to be able to either upgrade or clean install. May be the same for W8.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is a good guide for a clean install, click here but you'll need the XP installed first. If you get problems installing XP then find a windows 7 iso (same bit version as your Win 8, and install that as a trial (no key) version first. Then do a clean install of 8.

Create a dvd from the iso file.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

rdave13 Am I being naive in thinking that using a Windows ISO installation would circumvent MS's ban on using an upgrade version if you haven't BOUGHT a previous Windows OS?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Well the OP has XP so that could be used. All I'm suggesting if XP won't install (sata drivers problems possibly) then there's an alternative.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Was just curious!!

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Hi There You can do a clean install using your upgrade media following the guide linked below http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2299-clean-install-windows-8-a.html

once you have done that you will find that you are not actually activated so to do that follow the steps below http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13375-clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.html

any other questions don't hesitate to ask

regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Oh sorry forgot you won't have to have a previous operating system installed on hard drive to carry out the installation but you will have to follow the steps in the second link

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

Aquatarkus. All that looks pretty convincing to be, so I'll try that approach.

PS. I love the big red warning sign informing us that having bought 2 products, you are only entitled to the rights of one of them! I've no intention of using more than one, but I now feel well and truly 'put in my place'.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Hi Peter

The above links procedures work very well, I have upgraded all 4 of my pc's and 3 laptops to win8 pro using these methods. One thing I did forget once you have completed the procedures in the 2nd link you might have to activate manually, just follow the prompts.

Any problems just ask.

Regards

Aquatarkus

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...