We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

.EXE files won't open--please help!

Aphotica

Likes # 0

So I recently installed Windows 8: Enterprise 64bit. I've downloaded several programs that I've used on Windows 8, they're all .exe files. However, they're also all viruses, false positives.

No matter what I do, if I change the user control settings, the security settings, disable the firewall and antivirus, run it as an administrator on different compatibility modes.. it either will not open if it is in a .rar file, or it displays this message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Keep in mind that I have all vital updates for Windows 8 installed.

What can I do to simply open up these programs? All help is greatly appreciated, I really don't want to be stuck with Windows 7 because of something like this :P

Like this post
Aphotica

Likes # 0

I was able to use the programs on Windows 7* excuse me :)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You'll need 7-zip to extract the .rar files. There are other extracting programs but I only use the free 7-zip.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

I thought the poster said they were .exe files not .rar files

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In the opening title - yes. Different in the posting.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi rdave13

Sorry missed that. Need glasses again

Like this post
Aphotica

Likes # 0

I'm sorry, I should mention that these files were extracted using WinRar.

It's weird, though.. it should be noted that when they were all being extracted at once, the two .exe files said they could not move because I didn't have permission to move them. As a result, I had to extract them individually.

But yes, these .exe files have been extracted -- the display message that I mentioned above was referring to post-extraction, whereas prior to the extraction, they would not open at all and I would not receive an error message.

Like this post
Aphotica

Likes # 0

Fixed: Ran in safe mode, so it was not a permissions issue, but more a matter of security. Removed AVG and ran on normal boot settings, everything ran fine.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Use Microsoft's Defender for now. I had to drop Avast because of freezing browsers. Glad you're sorted.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Glad it's sorted.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

".....they're all .exe files. However, they're also all viruses, false positives...................Removed AVG and ran on normal boot settings, everything ran fine."

It looks to me like AVG was doing what it's supposed to do ;)

If however it's interfering with EXE files that you know are safe then you could have used the "Temporarily Disable AVG Protection" option found in its "Advanced Settings" menu.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone