We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

vista IE9 and slow internet response

leedhamtroll

Likes # 0

I have an 8 year old laptop with an inter celeron chip 1.6 ghtz, 1 gb of RAM. I am currently running IE9 with Vista service pack 2 installed. Internet page loading is tardy to say the least. I also have a works laptop, again quite old, with an intel core 2 duo (1.66 ghtz)with 2 gb of RAM and this runs fine using the same BT wireless hub.

Is my 8 year old laptop just too slow?, CPU usage goes up too 100% when accessing pages but goes down to 2 - 5 % once in idle mode.I can't see anything in Task Manager that might be slowing things up

I have Microsoft Security essentials installed dual core

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check task manager again and see how much memory is used with the browser you're using. 1GB ram is a bit low for Vista.

Like this post
leedhamtroll

Likes # 0

thanks for that

the green "bar" is running around the 750mb mark

the details below say that

Physical Memory is total 1013 (presumably the 1 GB of RAM) cached 410 free 11

thanks for your response, do you have any suggestions to improve performance?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You could run the Crucial memory scan to see if it's worth upgrading the ram seeing it's an old laptop. You should see a difference, http://www.crucial.com/uk/ , select system scanner.

Like this post
leedhamtroll

Likes # 0

thanks for that - I've learnt a lot from investigating your responses and I shall investiate adding an extra 1gB or two ( I have the 32 bit version so apparently thats the max I can add)

thanks again

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Also run something like Ccleaner, click here, unless you use it anyway. Be aware it cleans all your history, passwords, cashe etc. so read the help files if you need to keep any settings. I use it in default mode as I never keep passwords saved on a PC.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry if you already use Ccleaner but some useful tips here.

Again I use it's reg cleaner but don't bother to create a backup. It's good practice I know. One of the best utilities for Windows in my humble opinion.

Like this post
leedhamtroll

Likes # 0

have now added an extra 1GB of RAM and it has made a sensational difference to browsing, photo editing - just about everything. Many thanks for the advice. I've been thinking it was just Vista in combination with a duff laptop all these years!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback, nice to know you've got a 'new' machine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September