We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I open ANY downloads?

kate7461

Likes # 0

Hi, I got a new laptop with windows 8 installed on it. As it is new it obviously doesn't have of the flash player and programs and things that I want. The problem is any time I download adobe flash player for example, I click on it and it asks to make changes to the computer as per usual, but when I click yes it makes no change and I cant run it.. this means nothing will download and I cant play games online.... any suggestions??

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I know w8 updates flash player itself.whether it actually downloads it itself.check add remove to see if it is already downloaded.

Like this post
kate7461

Likes # 0

I cant see adobe flash flayer here.. I can only see photoshop and programs related to that and something called 'adobe AIR'

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Well checked mine and I don't have flash player on it for I/E but do have it for Firefox.

Firefox being my main Browser.

Maybe try it with Compatibility mode ticked under tools.Or unticked if it is already ticked.

Have you downloaded all of the Windows Updates and are you signed on as administrator.

Maybe you are downloading the wrong one.Is it a 64Bit Laptop or a 32Bit one.If 64Bit you have to download that version.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just had another look in I/E add ons and if you look in all add ons flash is installed.

Remember you do not need to install any more updates for it windows update does it for you.

Shockwave flash object.I assume that is the flash player.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Are you running the Metro version of IE10 or the desktop version of IE10, this will make a big difference to how adobe flash works.

Have a look here http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/2871-latest-version-adobe-flash-player.html be worth reading through the posts on that thread.

Also have a look here http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/374821/ie10-metro-will-have-flash-but-only-for-approved-sites

And here http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/06/add-flash-support-to-metro-ie10-on-windows-8-and-rt/

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
kate7461

Likes # 0

thanks for all the help! I got it working at last!

Like this post
jaritch

Likes # 0

Hi Kate It would be good to know how you managed to fix this issue as there may be others in the future with a similar problem.

Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...