We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot right click on anything on desktop without it freezing.

retep13
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am running win 8 on Athlon 64 x2 dual core 5200+ and an M2N-VM1394 Motherboard with a 160 GB HDD. When i try to right click on anything on the desktop, i just get the blue circle and nothing else. i try task manager but there are no problems to stop. Can anyone tell me what is wrong please. Thank You

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Have you tried Device Manager to see if any problems in there.

Like this post
BlairStent

Likes # 1

Have you tried starting the system up in Safe Mode - does the problem still exist when running using the Safe Mode option?

Have you made any updates to the graphics drivers, or installed any new programs recently?

Does the blue circle appear when you right click on the icons on the desktop, the desktop background, task bar / clock etc?

What were the last programs you installed before you noticed the problem. Also include any programs you installed without restarting the machine (not sleep / hibernate, a power off and back on, or actual reset)

Like this post  
ciscodisco

Likes # 1

I also had this problem and it usually happen when you upgrade to Windows 8 from a previous version.

It’s more than likely the driver for your graphics so ensure you have the latest driver updates. These can be downloaded from either the computer manufacturer’s website or the graphics manufacturer- ATI/NVIDIA.

Like this post
retep13

Likes # 0

Hi, I tried all suggestions with no luck. I then reinstalled Win XP and then Win 8 on top of that, then i reinstalled the programmes i had been having problems with and everything now works great. Thank You for all the help Pete

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room