We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CD/DVD player disappears after Win8 install + reg edit fix doesn't work

webtiger

Likes # 0

Having installed WIn8 for a third and final try, I now find that my CD/DVd player has disappeared from the system so I can't install any further software.

I've done the reg edit fix for this available online but it hasn't corrected the problem. Also, I've downloaded the free MS Media Centre add-on, which is also supposed to resolve the issue, also without success - I have the media centre function, but not DVD/CD player.

Can anyone help with advice on beating this bug?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

When you ran the reg fix did you get any errors? Did you run CMD as admin?

Like this post
webtiger

Likes # 0

There were no errors when I ran the edit. And, yes, I used the admin version of the prompt to run it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Left corner, right click, Device Manager, DVD/CD-ROM drives right click and try 'Scan for hardware changes.

Left corner, right click, Disk manager, if you scroll down do you see CD-ROM O. If it's there without a letter you will need to change drive letter and paths.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This one is slightly different, save to notepad as Drive.reg then merge.

click here

Like this post
fullywired23

Likes # 0

I thought I had cured this fault but after a few reboots it has gone again.I tried the regedit but it didn't work for me ,I don't know if I did it correctly but I pasted it in and I used the admin command ,perhaps someone could give me a step by step instruction as I am not all that good with computers

viejo
Like this post
fullywired23

Likes # 0

Tried again ,this time using

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 this was successful I can now see the DVD However only time will tell whether the cure is long lasting

thanks to everyone viejo

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I had this and other problems with Windows 8 and found that the easiest solution, which cured them all, was to re-install Windows 7. I liked Windows 8 but I'm going to leave it for a few months before trying again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015