We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Screen freeze!

ivesy

Likes # 0

Can anyone help please?

Switched PC on this morning and got to the main windows tiled screen but then the screen has just frozen. I can't use any of the on screen commands using the mouse and the only thing I can get is the options from pressing ctrl alt delete. I've tried shutting down and restarting and leaving the PC for a couple of hours but no change?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you can get into TaskManager does the side bar work.

Not sure if you can get into safe mode or not but try holding down the Ctrl key while tapping F8 as the computer starts.

Like this post
ivesy

Likes # 0

No sidebar doesnt work.

tried ctrl and f8 but i just get the boot menu. This happened a few months ago but i can't remember how i put it right.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Does the mouse cursor work in the Start screen? If it does try hovering over the desktop app then press the Windows key then left click. See if you can get to the desktop. There's a weather app that causes this, I've read, can't remember the name but remember it starts with 'A' I think.

Like this post
ivesy

Likes # 0

Hi tried that and managed to get to the desk top. The sidebar still not working though. I think the weather app was pre installed.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In the desktop right click the task bar and select task manager. Select File, then Run New Task. Type cmd and check the box to give admin privilege. In the command prompt type sfc /scannow and let it run. See if it corrects some errors. You might need to run it a few times. See if that helps.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure what you can do now but if you want it to start in safe mode with networking type msconfig into the start bar.Use your arrows to move about.Then click on msconfig.

Click on Boot. then tick Safe Boot.Then tick network.Apply.Ok.

It will tell you to restart do that and it should start in safe mode with networking.

That will give you the opertunity of finding and repairing the problem.

When you want to come out of safe mode you must reverse what you did in msconfig or it will just reboot into safe mode again.

Like this post
ivesy

Likes # 0

Rdave13 just trying that now thank you.

Jock1e, where's the start bar?

Like this post
ivesy

Likes # 0

Fixed!

With file manager open did a search for msconfig. Ran it and booted in safemode.

Then i went back to msconfig and booted normally. Everything seems ok.

Thank you both for the help

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback. Though, why that worked is a mystery. :)

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Spam by thutu8,

FE Informed..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today