We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade from Win7 to Win8 and revert back to Win7 problems if any

compumac

Likes # 0

I am considering upgrading my 18 month old Samsung RC710 Windows 7 laptop with 4 GB memory to Windows 8. The laptop has Acronis True image installed with regular images being created. I have created a fresh Acronis image of ‘C’ as well as a Windows 7 image and also created a Repair Windows 64bit DVD. Both in the event of failed Win8 installation or a desire to revert back to Windows 7. I welcome any thoughts on my reasoning?

My understanding that the current £24.99 offer of upgrade to Windows 8 does not include the ability for a DVD function or am I not reading this correctly? Also what are the implications of this?

What are the possible pitfalls in the upgrade as I wish to be prepared?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

For me - yes, I wouldn't go back to 7.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

rdave13

Thanks for that I might go for the download tomorrow.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

compumac

Just to add my bit.I would not download it again.Some like it some don't

To me W/7 is far easier to use.

If you are used to i-Phones iPads etc it will be Ok,I am still stuck in the dark ages so may be an age thing.

I was looking at the reviews for a new computer and all the bad reviews was for W/8 and if they had known it was that bad they would not have bought the computer.

I have to use a program that puts the start button and all programs back on to it to be able to use it.It was either that or back to W/7.

For £25 it has to be worth a try. If you are up to date with modern technology you should be Ok.

Look forward to your comments once you have it up and running.

I can not get safe mode from boot up so any problems may be difficult to fix.

Once again some get it some don't.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September