We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win8 hibernate crash - prep for reinstall: file locations?

webtiger

Likes # 0

Win 8 has crashed again after going into hibernate/sleep mode. None of the repair or refresh options work, so am going to reinstall.

Before doing that, I want to rescue folders and files that were on the desktop.

My question is, where does Win 8 store its desktop files?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If the files and folders are actually on the Desktop, not shortcuts, then they'll be in the Desktop folder.

Like this post
webtiger

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave13. Have just used the Win Ultimate Boot CD to view my drives ahead of backing up the folders/files I want and the SSD drive with Win8 installed on - and I don't see it!

The crash must have corrupted it in some way as it's brand new.

Any suggestions for the best way of trying to view the drive and retrieve the folders?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In the folders tree in Win 8 the desktop folder is shown above the Libraries icon and the drives are then under Computer. If you can see the C: drive try expanding then to USERS, your name, Desktop.

I've always found it easier to put a drive in a caddy and connecting it via usb to a working PC to search around.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

When you say you don't see it, do you mean the SSD drive itself or the Desktop folder?

Like this post
webtiger

Likes # 0

Many thanks rdave13.

Yes, I don't see the drive at all (it has two partitions).

I've also since looked using Mini Tool Power Data Recovery and it also finds no drive. I'll have to look at the manufacturer's website for some kind diagnostic software to check it.

I think I'm going to go back to XP and wait for a good few months before trying Win8 again in the hope that this quite common crash type (going on half a day's forum searching) will have been fixed by then.

Thanks for your help, in any case.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You're using XP on a SSD and updating to Win 8? Did you realign the partitions first? Was trim set up from a third party software as XP doesn't support it. You'll need to set up the SSD to work with XP. Once sorted you should have no problems as Windows 8 will take over. As for hibernation you should disable it on an SSD. The more programs you install the more huge the hibernate folder gets. Filling your SSD to a point it will crash.

Once you're back to Win 8 disable hibernate, bottom left corner, right click the start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin), type in ‘powercfg -h off’ without quotes. That will disable hibernation.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

OK. I might get my knuckles rapped for this but it might be an idea. You'll obviously know what bit version your OS is and the Windows 8 UPGRADE IS THE SAME. So try this, download the Windows 7 iso from here. (same bit version).

Burn to disk and install on your SSD. Don't attempt to put a key in as you haven't got one. You'll be on a time trial. Now install the Win8 upgrade from within 7. Worth a try.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

PS if it's a small SSD the 1st partition should be for win 8 (100mb). If you don't mean that one then you should leave it as a single partition. Even a 120GB SSD is just right for OS and a few programs with hibernation disabled.

Like this post
webtiger

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try.

Like this post
webtiger

Likes # 0

Have done the Win 7 install followed by Win 8. It runs but only boots with the DVD in the drive.

Also, the anti-hibernation command line instruction couldn't be actioned - the error message said I didn't 'have permission' to do it. Instead I turned off hibernate in the power section.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone