We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help in Removing Internet Explorer from PC

tallboy

Likes # 0

The only application that uses Internet Explorer (9) on my PC is BT's Help tool. (I use Google or Mozilla). However, Internet Explorer is not working and I wish to remove it without interfering with any of the Windows Live Essentials tools that I use.

Since it is not listed in the add / remove program list, how do I remove it and clear out files that are associated with it?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I don't believe that you can remove it completely other than by methods that are not recommended. If you are having problems with an updated version it can be rolled back.If you uninstall IE9 it will roll back to the previous version that was installed before the update.

Assuming that you updated from 8, to roll back you should open Control Panel, click on Programs and Features or add/remove programs - click on view installed updates in the left hand pane, right click on windows internet explorer 9 - select uninstall, restart PC - it should then have rolled back to the previous version

You could reset Internet Explorer - this microsoft fixit explains.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Or add remove.windows program's.scroll down to Internet explorer and unstick it and wait for it to be removed.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

That should have been click on Turn windows features on or off.Then untick it of course instead of unstick.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

You cannot remove IE from Windows but since W7 you can "turn it off"

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2734/uninstall-disable-delete-internet-explorer-8-from-windows-7/

Like this post
tallboy

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have rolled IE9 back to IE8 as suggested by difarn and now it doesn't 'hang' like IE9 did. I've still got to sort out the BT Help Desk feature with BT. That works OK using their previous version, but not the latest one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)