We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot see my old xp harddrive

staton101

Likes # 0

I have a 3 year old desktop with 250gb harddrive running Windows XP. I have just bought 500gb internal harddrive, swapped the 2 and installed Windows 7 on new drive. When running Win 7, I cannot see the old hardrive in my computer which is installed on the slave connection. I can see it on Bios and devices but it has no drive letter, also unable to assign drive letter as it is greyed out. When booting using XP I can see both drives in my computer. Can anyone help?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What dual boot manager do you use? Usually with dual boot only the one in use will be assigned the C: letter.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As 7 is selected as the first HDD have a look here. Scroll down to Option two, section 7 (win 7 installed first). That might help. I had to use EasyBCD when dual booting Vista and XP. Both drives were accessible when on Vista or XP. I'm not sure if it helps to change the drive letter and paths in any drive that has an OS.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I should have added that if you have a different boot manager then please disregard my advice, except be careful if you tinker with letter and paths with a drive that has an OS on it.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I have a friend with a PC dual booting XP and Windows 7, in his case in separate partitions on the same hard drive. XP sees both partitions but, when booted into Windows 7, the partition with XP is not visible in "Computer". I don't know about 3rd party boot managers but this does seem to be default behaviour with Windows' own boot system. If I remember correctly, in Windows 7 the partition containing XP has no drive letter associated with it in Disk Management.

Like this post
staton101

Likes # 0

Dr yes, I can't add a drive letter because the option is greyed out, I have tried using partion management software but still doesn't help. Rdave13, I just used the bios to change the boot sequence to force it to load with either xp or win7,

I just wanted to be able to access all my files from the old drive while running win7. Think I will boot xp and copy all the stuff I want to new drive, then format old drive as I don't really need xp anymore... Thanks for your help so far.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

If that's all you want to do , just use windows easy transfer . I have used it a few times , works well , and is quite quick

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......