We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem With Changing Removable Drive Letters.

m800afc

Likes # 0

Intel Core i7 CPU [email protected] 3.81GHz 12Gb RAM ATI Radeon HD 5770 Monitor 1 - BenQ2400W (Landscape) Monitor 2 - BenQ2400W (Portrait) Win 7 Pro 64bit: Epson Stylus Photo R1900.

On my taskbar are five removable drives labelled H,W,X,Y and Z. I have no idea what storage device each of these drives is referring to. I would like to use the letter H to label a HDD. When I open disk management however (my computer>manage>disk management) none of the removable drives are shown. I have tried reading an assortment of USB sticks, phones and mp3 players but none of them show up as H. How can I change the drive letter of a removable drive?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Do you have a card reader? Go to control panel, folder options. Under view untick Hide Empty drives in the Computer folder. The reader should now show as multiple drives in Computer. Not sure if worth playing about with the letters.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

rdave13

Useful tip,I too have a card reader on my recent downsized case(Lian Li V354A)and although I have the relevant box ticked,I was unaware of that particular setting.

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

rdave13

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sadly it does not help. The option was already unticked, and so I am still unable to change the drive letter. Any further advice will be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Is the other option dotted? Show hidden files, folders and drives? I'm puzzled as to why the card reader drives letters have been put on the task bar (if that's what they are). It takes a little bit of work, http://www.ghacks.net/2010/07/06/how-to-place-drives-in-the-windows-7-taskbar/

I think the Z:\ drive might be different though. A peculiar set-up for a card reader.

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

Seasons Greetings.

Curiouser and curiouser. I'm sure I have not knowingly changed the drive letters. Initially Chillblast provided me with one SSD, C: and six 1Tb drives set up as three Raid 1 pairs. My computer crashed sometime after and the SSD died and the Raid pairs were split. The SSD is no longer accessible. I partitioned D: into C: and D:, and did a clean install of W7 onto C:. As a result the computer works as it should. This week I replaced the dead SSD with a 1Tb drive out of an external case and did a clean reinstall of W7.

The drives are now listed, using EaseUS partition Master as:

Internal

Disk 1 ===== O: and N:

Disk 2 ===== F:

Disk 3 ===== G:

Disk 4 ===== M:

Disk 5 ===== D: and C:

Disk 6 ===== E:

Disk 7 ===== I:

External

Disk 14 ==== T:

Disk 15 ==== K: and L

Disk 16 ==== P: and Q

Note that neither the BluRay drive nor any of the Removable drives is shown. The same results are given with the W7 disk manager.

If I cannot get to any of the five removable disks shown on the taskbar, via either the inbuilt disk manager or a third party partition manager, how can I change their drive letters?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Wish you'd have stated you were using Raid 1, three pairs, in your opening thread. You used one of the existing pairs? and partitioned for C and D. Over my head I'm afraid and wouldn't have tried to help if I'd known the set-up.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Triple thread by m800afc, see thread in Helproom that has replies http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4194715/how-to-get-hdds--displayed-on-the-taskbar-in-alphabetical-order/

m800afc, please stick to one thread for same problem or it just get confusing for those offering suggestions/advice.

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

Just a little clarification. I am not using any kind of raid at all now. All pairings were broken following a crash, and they are all working happily as individual drives. It is the removable drives I have the problem with, not the internal HDD's.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"When I open disk management however (my computer>manage>disk management) none of the removable drives are shown"

I think that is the problem if they are not showing there (mine do show with their letter).

I do not know why they are displayed on the Taskbar? (that doesn't sound normal, or is it a W7 quick pop up menu thingy) anyway if you can't do anything with that - not a lot of use having them there, maybe it was a 'leftover' from changing the other hard drives around.

My card readers (4) show up in Hardware | Device Manager, as 'Storage Volumes' | Generic volume (listed 4 times) If you have any reference to them there you could try updating the drivers or 'check for hardware changes'

Perhaps you should physically remove the cable from the card reader to the motherboard, then boot pc so it can register they are not present, then shut down, reconnect cable, boot up and let W7 find them again and install the drivers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...