We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Faulty Windows 8 PC

MK-Nige

Likes # 0

Have I stumbled across a flaw in windows 8? I have just purchased an Acer desktop PC which as soon as I started going through the set up process was showing early signs of ‘not being right’ it was slow and time consuming to set up and then it wanted to link to my windows live account. Which I did. However the inbuilt Wi-Fi card (and Wi-Fi itself I guess) kept dropping out, and on some programs would say that I need to connect to the internet, whilst others running at the same time were showing full and good strength signal. But it did keep dropping out as could be seen by the ‘unavailable’ icon in the start tray. Other issues with the PC meant that I had no option but to return it. And here is the flaw.. the technician at the place of purchase wanted to access the PC to check all was ok or not, but needed the password to do so. Yes, he needs my Live account password. I was not happy handing this over, but was told that the only way this could be resolved was to do so. Is this right? Is the only way a another person can gain access to a windows 8 PC is by using the Live account? I have had several heated discussions with the supplier, who in my opinion are not being very helpful, and only told me that they needed the Live account password 24 hours after I submitted the set up one. The situation now is, I am still waiting to hear, and this is now 8 days after reporting the fault. I find it hard to believe that in this day and age of online security I have to offer my details in such a way, just to enable someone to confirm the issues I have experienced. Windows must have some system in place to over ride this.. surely, otherwise who is going to want to ever return a faulty PC again.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe changing the password could be a good idea,Windows 8 is password protected and the only way out of that is to set it up so that you do not need a password to open it.

Have you gone into Device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks and have you downloaded all windows updates.

If you want to remove the password have a look here.

http://www.forumswindows8.com/tutorials/how-remove-login-password-6037.htm

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Your supplier will need your user account password before they are able to access your computer, but I can't see why any other passwords are necessary.

From what you've said it sounds as if something went wrong when you were in the setup process - a new computer will have an OEM version of Windows 8 which will have been tested as working in the factory. All the necessary hardware drivers will be on the machine, and the wireless network adapter should function perfectly.

Like this post
MK-Nige

Likes # 0

I really appreciate the responses so far, thank you. The reason for my initial question and concern, was that during the set up process, I was asked to ‘name’ the desk top and assign a password. It was a few moments later that I was asked if I had a live account, wish I have and added it and its password. It seems that once I had signed in with my Live account, that took over the control and access of the PC. As I also have a Windows phone which is synced to my Facebook, emails and other apps, I am very reluctant to offer that password to anyone, including the suppliers technicians. I would have thought that to gain access to check all devices pre-installed be it the OME platform or any drivers, windows so have recognised the need for a secondary means of checking the system, even by doing so in safe mode. If I had known that the Live account was going to be the only means of access when it was sent away, I would have deleted the account from that machine beforehand. Changing the password from my phone, would lock up the PC again, so the password for any windows 8 based is effectively stored in the ‘cloud’ and not actually on the PC. Previous versions of windows would have allowed me to assign a password to protect my email and other applications separately from the PC itself, but I guess having the PC for less than 24 hours before it was sent back did not allow me time to figure out any other method of protecting my details. Maybe I am being overly cautious not wanting everyone to have access to my details, but as I am self employed and rely on the PC for work (AutoCAD user) the importance of a fully protected PC is paramount. That would appear not to be the case with my limited experience so far.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You are quite right.I had to use my E-mail address and password for W/8 also.

Like you I don't think that it was a great idea I just removed the password so that the computer automatically starts when I boot up.

Not sure you can change it though unless you open a new e-mail account and use that.Pretty crap if you can't

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

MK-Nige

If you click on settings on the right.Then click on change PC Settings.Then click on users.Sign in options.Then you can create a new password, but I am not sure if that is for starting the computer sign in or not and the other password maybe just to open the APS.

Maybe someone can give us more information on the subject.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

Ok just noticed that you returned the Desktop so information is not needed now but if anyone knows if that actually changes the sign in password it may help others with the same problem.

MK-Nige

I was looking at an Acer desktop the other day and checked out the customer reviews for it and most of the complaints were all about W/8 and how poor it was.

Unfortunately it never gave me any idea as to how good the computer was.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 1

" Yes, he needs my Live account password. I was not happy handing this over, but was told that the only way this could be resolved was to do so. Is this right?"

"....I am very reluctant to offer that password to anyone, including the suppliers technicians."

Nige, I know it's too late now as you've already handed over the machine but you could have switched to what's known as a "local account" prior to parting with the PC. Here's how. After getting the PC back you could then revert back to your Microsoft Account by following the instructions here.

Like this post
MK-Nige

Likes # 0

Thanks once again for the comments. I will take note of these replies once (and if!!) I ever get my PC back. I am starting to doubt that Windows 8 is for me right now, but knowing that if I ever do manage to complete the installation process, there are ways to safe guard my information should I ever have to 'send it away' again. I guess not being able to actually explore W8 fully is a disappointment, but not having a fully functioning PC is even more of a downer! Finally, Happy Christmas all, and thanks again!

Like this post
MK-Nige

Likes # 0

I have just spoken to the Customer Services desk of the supplier, who have informed me that their fully qualified technicians have been unable to find any fault with the PC, and that it is working fine. I mentioned that I was unsure about their findings, as it did not work under the conditions I intend it to. When told I could have my money back if I wished, less postage and get this, 10% for all the scratches that are now on the casing! I would like to know what they are! I have asked for both the test report and images of these scratches to be sent, before I make my mind up as what to do next. I may have to put this down to experience and move on. Not a happy bunny right now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad