We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I Do a clean Windows 8 install over downloaded windows 8 upgrade?

geletaz

Likes # 0

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro upgrade from Microsoft website and problem activating like so many other users. The issue I have is that I also downloaded the media pack and received a e-mail with a different key which I entered and now I cannot activate it. I spoke to Microsoft technician and they removed media pack and key but I still cannot activate it as my system stills shows Windows 8 Pro with Media Pack Key !.Now would buying a retail boxed version of Windows 8 Pro solve the issue as it will come with a new key and can a clean install be done over the downloaded upgrade version I have ?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I think you can do a system repair which downloads W/8 again Just don't take any files or folders with you this time.

Will have a look and see if I can find it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok better waiting for further advice but I am almost sure this was the way I had to reinstall W/8.

Click on the side bar and then click on search.

Click on settings and type repair in the box.

Click on general to open it.

Click on remove everything and reinstall Windows.

For a clean install do not take any files or folders with you.

I would wait for conformation from others.Plus there may be something else you could try first.

Like this post
geletaz

Likes # 0

Thanks for reply Jock1e.I am not sure what you mean by not taking any files or folders when clicking on remove everything and re-installing windows.This procedure sounds like reformatting the hard drive..if it is...by clicking this option windows will remove everything like drivers which will make my pc 'dead '...am i right ?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Yes it is a clean install.I did not need to download any drivers for it as Microsoft downloads most of them I suppose.

I just ran W/8 without files and folders because it did not work properly taking the files and folders with me.

I had no problems getting on to the internet as soon as it had finished.

Maybe it takes the drivers with it I don't know but mine worked Ok.

Like I said maybe wait and see if anyone else can help first.

You could always press refresh your PC without affecting your files to see if that helps.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Go into command prompt as an administrator and type in slui 3 and press enter on the keyboard.It should bring up the box to add the keycode type your keycode in and press activate and see if that works.

I believe this is the UK free number (0) 0800 018 8354 maybe phone them to activate it.

or try right clicking my computer and clicking on properties.Down near the bottom it should tell you if it is activated or not.If not it may let you activate it that way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'