We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 to Win 8 Upgrade, and dual booting

br1anstorm

Likes # 0

I have done some searching - I guess this question could go into the Win 7, Win 8, or general Tech Helproom forum. So far I have not found a clear answer.

The question is: is it possible on a Windows 7 laptop to install Windows 8 from the "upgrade" in such a way as to have a dual boot setup offering the option of running either OS? And if so, how exactly can this be done? I have a laptop running Win7 and ideally would like the option of trying, or being able to run, Win 8 without losing the original and familiar Win7 OS.

Some websites say this is possible and suggest partitioning the hard drive (C) and installing Win8 in a separate partition. But it is not clear whether this requires a complete, separately-purchased original Win8, or whether it can be done using the Win8 upgrade (as in theory I assume the upgrade would normally use, or overwrite and replace, the existing original Win7 OS).

As a separate but related question, I would also be interested to know - if a dual boot installation is indeed possible using the Win8 upgrade - whether the Win8 OS can be installed and run from a separate external hard drive connected via USB, rather than from a partition on the C drive.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

It looks as if it is possible,which was news to me, but have a look here.

But then again on another forum it says you cannot.Here.

You would certainly need to create a separate partition on your HDD and you could not use an external HDD for a dual boot as far as I am aware.

Like this post
br1anstorm

Likes # 0

Thanks to both Chronos and Dr Yes for that useful advice. It does look as if - both under the licence terms and in a practical sense - it would be difficult, if not impossible, to do an upgrade to Win8 and still retain Win7. But there does seem to be some differing views on the question.

I had looked at the advice on this site - which seems to assume the Win8 would be a new full OS, not an upgrade. The comments here suggest it is possible to dual-install using the Win8 upgrade, but the explanation refers to "buying the product key" and is a bit short on detail both on the installation steps and on activation. Hence my search for a more precise description of how to do it, if it were possible.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

How to send an app or iBook as a gift in iOS 8 for Christmas