We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice changing W/7 to W/8 on a new laptop.

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Got a new laptop for my GrandSon for Xmas with W/7 on it.

He is hinting that he would like W/8.If it comes to it could I upgrade it to W/8 without downloading all of the W/7 updates on it first.

If it comes with back to factory setting partition on it would I loose that.

I may just leave it in the hope that W/7 is better than XP which he has at the moment.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The easiest thing would be to leave 7 on it. Thing is how bad does your grandson want 8? Did it come with a voucher for a cheap Win 8 upgrade?

It would mean a bit of work, the usual starting of laptops, getting rid of junk and the auto updates. You could change that to 'notify only' of updates etc. to cut down the time. Also create the important recovery DVDs. I would assume that Windows 8 would only update to the C:\ drive and would leave the recovery partition alone. Good luck on your choice.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

Not sure if it came with a free upgrade or not as I haven't opened the package yet just in case he came across it in his search for presents.

If there is a free upgrade will that download over the top of W/7 or separately for the dual boot.Or would the system repair automatically take it back to W/7.

Well opened the package and not one bit of paperwork with it.I was expecting an invoice at least.Never opened the box as it is sealed so will have to go back and check out the e-mails that I received when buying it.

Will see when it is opened if I need to download the disks for it or not.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

Nothing about the free upgrade on the e-mails or the Coop web site.Have sent them a message to see whether they do or not but at the moment it will probably be a no.They are selling W/8 upgrades for £49.00 so can't see them giving them away free.

I believe you can still get an upgrade from Microsoft for £15 so will check that out.Just hoping he likes it the way it is that would save a lot of bother.

Ok had a look on the internet and you can get the upgrade for £15 providing you have bought a W/7 computer after the 2nd of June this year.

Once again it is an upgrade but can you download and run it separately and still keep W/7 as a dual boot.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You can and you cannot run it as a dual boot according to this from Chronos.

It looks as if it is possible,which was news to me, but have a look here.

But then again on another forum it says you cannot.

You would certainly need to create a separate partition on your HDD and you could not use an external HDD for a dual boot as far as I am aware.

Anyway with my computer skill I am not going to try it or the new computer might end up as a paper weight.

Will stick to W/7 till he complains.

Have till 31 January to make up my mind.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry couldn't reply sooner was at work. I think sticking to 7 is the best idea for now, as you say, you have until the end of January if you want to upgrade.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

I know he will pester me till he gets it on his computer but I will wait and see how long it takes him.

I would imagine Xmas day or Boxing day or he may well be just happy with what he has got,But I don't think so.His famous saying is I Want,I Want.

Anyway sent the Coop an e-mail asking about a free upgrade don't fancy my chances but you never know.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just thought I'd post the link to register for the £14.99 upgrade offer if the Co-op doesn't feel generous, http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB , but you never know.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

Thanks for that it will probably come in handy.

Just wondered do you know if there is a time limit for using it if I bought it now and did not use it for a few months.

I know the cut off date for purchasing it is the 31st January. I would imagine if I bought it now I could then install it when I wanted to.

What do you think.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm not sure to be honest. I think it would be better to do it on the actual laptop when ready.

"When can I order and download my Windows 8 software?

Windows 8 can be ordered beginning on 26 October 2012. When Windows 8 is ready for ordering, you will receive an email with your promotion code that you must redeem to receive the promotional pricing during the upgrade ordering process. This email will also include ordering and download instructions and a link to the ordering website." From here.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

Nice link it gave me the information that I was looking for.

It has to be downloaded and registered by the 28 February.

Ok will close this now as I have most of the information that I need.Your help was much appreciated.Thanks.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more