We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 OEM reuse of activation

robert888

Likes # 0

I have a Win 7 Pro OEM Disc which I will instal as a 2nd drive on an existing XP PC and run as a dual boot. During 2013 the intention is to build/purchase a new PC and use my existing Win 7 OEM Disk to instal Win 7 on a new drive in the new PC (after deleting Win 7 from my old drive). According to reports MS only allows OEM discs to be used on one PC and activation would be declined after installation on a new PC. However, the retailer informed me that when activation is declined you can select an option to automatically activate via telephone and provided you indicate Win 7 is only on one system it will activate. Can this explantion be true or is there a piece of the jigsaw missing?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

OEM license is tied to the first motherboard it is installed on. When you activate that motherboard specs (hardware hash) and product key are logged by MS. If you then install the OEM W7 on a different motherboard it won't match what has been logged and will fail activation (although I have heard of some that say they have done it)

That is why oem software is cheaper than Retail.

With Retail you can install on one pc then uninstall and get a new pc and install it on that one. (is only on one pc at any one time) (unless you have a family licence which allow 3 different pcs to use it at same time)

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Hey buddy, why not just install without activation for 30 days which you later can extend using the slmgr-rearm command from CMD?

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

So after the first 30 day run the command and it will reset the counter. You can do this 3 times so you'll end up with over 3 month!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...