We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

start up

gibber2

Likes # 0

when I start my omputer I get a black screen with the message "0 seek failure". what do I do to fix this?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This could be an indication that your computer's hard drive is not set as the first boot device in the BIOS.

Have you recently made any BIOS changes?

If not, are you familiar with the process to make changes in the BIOS? It's a simple enough procedure, but can be a little daunting, the first time you do it. If you need help, post back here, and I (or someone else) will provide step by step instructions.

Like this post
gibber2

Likes # 0

yes i need help setting up

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

TO CHANGE 1ST BOOT DEVICE TO HARD DISK... At Startup press "F2" to enter setup; Arrow down to select "Boot device configuration" - press enter; Arrow down to select "1st boot device" - press enter; Arrow cursor to select "Hard disk" - press enter; Press "F10" to save changes; Select "Y" for yes to confirm saving changes; Press "esc" to go to main menu.

Like this post
gibber2

Likes # 0

Hi thanks for the advice but didn't work as it keeps going back to the same message "0 seek faiure" If I push F1 the computer will finish start

thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Does a floppy drive show in the bios? If so disable it. If you've changed the cmos battery lately it might have reset the bios and enabled the floppy controller.

Like this post
gibber2

Likes # 0

Where do I find the bios and no I have not changed the battery as the computer is a dell stand alone

Thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't use Dell PCs so found this link which may be useful. It sounds as you missed getting to the bios. It should show up on the post screen, briefly, which key to tap at booting. First, try setting the hard drive as first boot then use the key/keys to save and exit. Hopefully someone with a Dell PC can offer more advice.

More info here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia