We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 CLASSPNP.SYS lockup (Windows 8 dual boot)

FleetingTerror

Likes # 0

I recently got a new desktop with Windows 8 on it, and wanted to install Windows 7 over it, but ended up partitioning my hard drive (1TB), Windows 8 still runs fine, but I can't Start Windows regularly (locks up on "Starting Windows" screen with the logo) or in safe mode (stops at CLASSPNP.SYS), same issues when booting from the disk (I managed to install it in the first place by running setup off the CD while in Windows 8).

My computer's specs: Gateway dx4870-ub318 Intel core i5 processor 3330 Intel HD Graphics 8GB DDR3 Memory DVD-Super Multi Drive Multi-in-1 Media Card Reader (Thats all I know, if you need anything else please tell me how to find out)

I read about trying to change SATA Controller from "AHCI" to "Custom" but I don't have this option, I can either disable it or switch to "Native IDE", I've tried both and neither have helped.

Like this post
FleetingTerror

Likes # 0

Doesn't show the repair option, not sure if this is because I'm not booting directly from the disk (which I can't do) or what, and I pretty sure all the files are installed properly, I just can't boot up windows 7 for whatever reason

Like this post
FleetingTerror

Likes # 0

There's no "legacy bios" field, all I can do is change boot order (CD/DVD before hard drive) which I did, but when I boot from the CD it hangs on the Starting Windows logo screen

Like this post
FleetingTerror

Likes # 0

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. P11-A0. 8/8/2012

Like this post
steffanJD

Likes # 0

Duplicate Files Deleter is a powerful tool to find and resolve duplicate photos, documents, spreadsheets, MP3's, and more! Removing duplicates will also help to speed up indexing and reduces back up size and time. http://DuplicateFilesDeleter.com

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...