We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 and Internet Explorer problems

rsedw

Likes # 0

I have upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to run on Windows 8 Pro. (I used the £25 offer from Microsoft). All appeared to run well but I am experiencing problems with the new version of Internet Explorer, that is supplied with Windows 8. At present Internet Explorer appears to load OK and run for a very short time the I am getting messages stating that there are problems with Internet Explorer, which the automatically closes down. It the becomes very difficult to get it re-loaded. It would appear that Internet Explorer has installed with errors as I know of nobody else who is experiencing this type of problem. I am using Google Chrome instead but would much prefer to use Internet Explorer. I have looked at Microsofts' website but there do not appear to be any known problems. I have also treid to re-download Internet Explorer on its own but cannot find where I can do this from.

HELP PLEASE!"

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try Tools.internet options.advanced and press reset se if that helps.

I suppose it could be you Anti-Virus having problems with it.

There were 13 updates for W/8 on Tuesday so maybe download them if you have not already done so.

Microsoft also runs the flash updates so best not installing them from elsewhere.

Like this post
QuietPerson

Likes # 0

You have noticed there are two IE in win 8? I use the one on the desk top - I do not like the other at all. I am not keen on win8 - but that is an improvement because before I did not like it! I have spent many hours trying to like it - and I have tweaked it to improve it from my point of view - I can not see who would prefer it to an existing win7 setup unless you have touch screen.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I think Win 8 is excellent and I don't have a touch screen. I haven't felt the need to tweak anything for the Desktop. As above, restore IE10 (you will need to reboot) and see if it runs OK from the desktop. You can then try it from the tile in the start page.

Like this post
rsedw

Likes # 0

Many thanks Jock1e..I have tried what you suggested and it 'appears' to have worked....time will tell, but many thanks for your help. Thank you to all others who have made suggestions

Like this post
QuietPerson

Likes # 0

rdave13 - glad you like it out of the box - how do any of you close down?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Right corner, settings, power.

Like this post
Richard D Furness

Likes # 0

Tried Jock1e suggested solution but not working for me. Any other ideas. Is it something to do with the screen not accepting SNAP. However will not work from the desktop either. Must admit much prefer Explorer to Chrome so would like to get back to it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you downloaded all of the latest Windows updates and are you using IE10.And have you made it the default browser.

If using the 64 bit version try ticking compatibility View.

Try with your add ons switched off.

If you have another browser downloaded you could remove IE10.Reboot then install it again.

Not sure if removing IE10 would put you back to IE9 or not.

But if you want to try it go to add remove.Turn windows features on or off.Untick IE10 and wait for it to be removed.

Not sure if you can reverse it after a reboot by going back in and ticking IE10 again or whether you would have to download it using Windows Updates.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Best downloading the ISO for W/8 in case you have any bother.If you already have it downloaded ignore this.

Especially as a lot of us cannot get Safe mode to work.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try running IE 10 (no add-ons), see if it works OK on the desktop. If it works then reset IE from there. Close the no add-on version and open the normal IE 10 icon to check. how to put the no add-on icon on the desktop.

If that fails try running sfc /scannow a couple of times. Lower left corner and right click the square start icon. In the list select Command Prompt (Admin). In the black window copy and paste sfc /scannow and press enter. It will now scan files and look for errors and will try to repair.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia