We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 files installed in wrong locations

Ila3icbwa

Likes # 0

I am new to this. Upgraded to Windows 8 from Windows7. I also have Microsoft Office Home & Student installed. Problem is for some reason most of my Exel spreadsheets ended up in Microsoft Picture manager, or Wordpad. God only knows how this happened. Can anyone out there advise me how I can get my files into their correct locations? Not at all impressed with Windows 8 at the moment.

Thanks

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Hi Do you mean that your excel files have actually been moved to different locations or that they are opening with picture manager and WordPad.

I suspect that they are opening in these 2 programs and have not actually been moved.

If you right click the Excel file you want to open you will get a drop down menu, In that menu you should see an "Open With" option click that. You will then get a window that says "how do you want to open this file" there will be a couple of options, click the "more options" link and you will then see a list of programs installed on your PC. scroll down until you see Excel and select that by clicking it, follow the prompts and your excel files should all now open in excel.

Regards Aquatarkus

Like this post
Ila3icbwa

Likes # 0

Hi Aquatarkus. Thank you for your response. I have tried doing what you suggested. However, when I click on "more options", It does not give me the option of "Excel". There is however, a black box with a black tick in it with the following message "Use this application for all .xls files. but I can't do anything with it. The final options was "Look up another APP on the PC". I tried this and 10 APPs came up, all of which were from providers other than Windows and none of which I would be interested in. Any other suggestions? Ila3icbwa

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

Is there an Excel tile on the start menu? if so does clicking the tile start Excel. If there is not a tile for Excel that you can see if you right click the start screen and at the bottom right you should see an icon for All Apps click that can you see a tile for excel then.

Do you have the installation disk for Office Home & Student edition, might be worth going to control panel > programs and features > and repair the office installation from there.

I am not a fan of upgrading from previous versions, always better to back up your important documents etc and then do a clean install.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

I also note in your reply

The final options was "Look up another APP on the PC". I tried this and 10 APPs came up, all of which were from providers other than Windows and none of which I would be interested in

Are you sure you clicked "Look Up Another App on the PC" and not "find another app from the store"? as finding another 10 apps from other providers sounds like the Windows 8 Store.

Like this post
Ila3icbwa

Likes # 0

Hi Aquatarkus

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you regarding your last message. I have since decided to take my laptop back to the place where I purchased it from. He fixed the problem free of charge in 2 minutes. He showed me how he did it, but by the time I got home that day I had forgotten. Sorry about that. Anyway, thanks again for trying to help sort the problem out

Regards...Ila3icbwa

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I imagine that he configured the correct file associations, so that Excel became the default application for your files.

Goodness knows why the association wasn't made during the upgrade.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks