We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using old hard drive in a caddy

tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Hi, my 10yr old pc (xp with sp3) became so frustrating slow that i decided to replace it in July with a Windows7 system that has a 120Gb SSD +1Tb hdd and 16gb memory. There is stuff on the old pc's hard drive that i'd like to use so, is it possible to remove it and put it in a caddy and connect it to my new pc using a usb cable? If yes, is it straightforward or am i dreaming?? Thanks for any info. - Tony

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes for documents, music, film and photos. You can even transfer any zipped files for extracting and installing. Just find the folders and files. As for the installed programs on the XP disc, then no, you can't transfer them.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You may have to 'take ownership' of the files when you first try to access them with your new W7 pc.

Like this post
tony-guitar

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks for your help, but what does 'take ownership' mean?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

When you first try to access the files on the extra harddrive you may receive a message saying 'You do not have permission to access these files' if you get that message then you have to take ownership of them, or preferably the whole drive, folders and files. There are lots of guides with screenshots that are a lot clearer than anyone trying to explain with just words so best to google/search for a guide.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite