We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Canon Pixma MG5450 - NT 4.0 Policy: Driver Issue

DaleF

Likes # 0

Hi,

I bought a MG5450 2 days ago and began setting it up yesterday however stumbled across an issue where the printer driver would not install regardless of the compatibility setting. Being as it's a newly released printer I thought the drivers would be up to date and new, however I think there may be a issue with NT 4.0 driver policy as when I try to install the drivers through the device manager, it gives me that message that there's a policy in place stopping me.

Windows update always fails when trying to install the printer, however the scanner, and software included all work fine. I can scan images on wirelessly and have them saved on my computer without an issue, however there is no way to print.

I have tried disabling the policing through the 'MSC' and adding a local group policy or something along those lines. However none of this has worked. How can I get the driver to install or disable the policy to allow the printer to be installed.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

Tried installation of the drivers both through wireless and wired, both come to the same outcome.

Any other information needed, then please ask.

Thanks!

Like this post
DaleF

Likes # 0

Below is a quick link to some issues relating to my issue also. Excuse that it's in the windows forums, however it has been ignored there for many days and I assume no one knows the issue or problem I am having.

Additional Images with my issue posted here

On top of this, I have spoken to Canon through email and they have explained that if the drivers don't work, it's a Window 7 issue.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you tried to see if it will work using XP mode?

Do you have a network set up where you are sharing printers? If so some posts I have been reading intimate this is the problem. I don't know if you have stumbled across this article but you may find it useful.

When you were installing did you also go through the route where you went into add printer and chose the printer from the list populated?

Like this post
DaleF

Likes # 0

Thank for the reply,

I have tried the Windows XP compatibility mode, it just gives me an error saying that it is not compatible with my current operating system. I have tried this with all versions of Windows XP & Windows NT 4.0.

I have also tried the second and third option you posted. If I go through the add printer option, it gives me the message saying that 'a policy is blocking the installation of NT 4.0 drivers' and the article I have already tried to do and got no where with.

Canon sent me drivers from their website, however these just fail every time they attempt to install. They just will not install regardless of any setting being changed or configured, I have tried both the CD given and the downloaded files. Both doing no good!

Would XP Mode work to solve the problem? I may download that and try...

Like this post
DaleF

Likes # 0

Thank for the reply,

I have tried the Windows XP compatibility mode, it just gives me an error saying that it is not compatible with my current operating system. I have tried this with all versions of Windows XP & Windows NT 4.0.

I have also tried the second and third option you posted. If I go through the add printer option, it gives me the message saying that 'a policy is blocking the installation of NT 4.0 drivers' and the article I have already tried to do and got no where with.

Canon sent me drivers from their website, however these just fail every time they attempt to install. They just will not install regardless of any setting being changed or configured, I have tried both the CD given and the downloaded files. Both doing no good!

Would XP Mode work to solve the problem? I may download that and try...

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It could well do. Do you have other PC's on the network? One running XP by any chance? If so you could try attaching the printer to that and then trying to share it with your windows 7 PC. This will involve you having to load an XP driver for the Printer onto your Windows 7 PC. Could you install it directly via your router and then share it on the network?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer