We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help Please. Blank screen after an update. Cannot restore back or create restore point.

godfryshiv06

Likes # 0

I recently installed some updates in my Proline notebook, but after installing the 30 percent, it failed to restart, with the screen showing nothing (as if it's off). I then tried to restore it to an earlier time via safe mode but the restore point available is only the one as at the time of the update. I tried to create a restore point, but when i tried, i cannot even find system protection when i looked for it and it directs me to system properties where my computer's description is blank and it cannot be edited.Even the updates cannot be uninstalled via safe mode.Is there no other options i can try in order to start my laptop normally again?

Like this post
godfryshiv06

Likes # 0

The base system devices have the yellow exclamations. I have scanned it yesterday, and there is no virus anymore.

Like this post
godfryshiv06

Likes # 0

sorry the two base system device are the ones in yellow exclamations.

Like this post
godfryshiv06

Likes # 0

Thought i was wrong.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Did you actually click on the restore to a previous date - you said it had the same date of the updates but it should have been before the updates were installed.

Do you have your windows 7 disk? If so you could try a repair install - this article takes you through the steps.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You could try right clicking the 2 system devices and try and update them.If they don't update don't worry about it as some drivers do not get loaded in safe mode.

Did you go back a month when trying system restore there should be an arrow or something like that on the top that you click on to go back a month.

Did you say it did start in normal mode but it was running very slow.

Like this post
godfryshiv06

Likes # 0

The date of the restore was not for a previouse date it was the date and time of the update. When i made the restore it automatically started installing the updates before it finished starting.I don't have the installation disk, now, thats the issue.@Jocke, there is no arrow for going back to another month, and the PC started, but the screen got blank (as if it was just off). You cuold even hear the welcome tone.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Although I have not done it, it is possible to do a repair install without the disk, by burning an ISO of your windows version to make an install disk - full details and links here.

Like this post
godfryshiv06

Likes # 0

Dope,thanks difarn, will try this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014