We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 network / Users

maanse

Likes # 0

Hi Guys,

I have just set up a small windows 7 network in an office and i seem to have come across a slight problem after a configuration change was requested by the office manager. Basically what i want to be able to do is centrally manage all users from one PC, So that the users only have to be created once, not once on each machine. I understand this is probably a Windows Server situation but don't really want to go to that expense purely for centralising users.

Are there any other ways around my problem?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you are not running server software, i.e. have a Client/Server network, then you are running a "peer-to-peer" network. This is the type of network used by home users and every computer in the network has an equal status; there is no particular computer having overall control of the network.

"So that the users only have to be created once, not once on each machine"

I don't understand what you mean by creating users ???

Like this post
jamieamunra

Likes # 0

Hey Maanse, you need Active directory to be able to centrally manage users and computers. You can install a Server 2003, 2008 , 2008 R2, 2012 or a small business server. You will not be able to do it in a peer to peer setup.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...