We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 won't load properly

TOFF

Likes # 0

I installed 8 successfully about a month ago and all went well. The only recent change I have made is to install Startmenu8 to get a more normal Windows look. Yesterday my computer screen went dark blue and the mouse seemed not to function. I changed batteries and rebooted. However all I get is my desktop with no task bar and no icons. The programmes show up along the bottom but will not open maximised so I can't use them. I have a Dell desktop and have run the diagnostics on F12 at start up. All is ok according to that. I want to restore to a previous point but cannot get at Windows to do this. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Like this post
TOFF

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I eventually manged to boot from my CD drive with the recovery disk (W8 version) but it said that both my restore point and image wouldn't work. I therefore tried to do a clean install of W8 but that wouldn't work. It just hung after several hours. I tried the same with W7 but with the same result.

My machine came with Vista so I installed that from the Dell recovery disk. This worked. I then tried to upgrade to W7 SP1 (an upgrade which would never install back in the day) from a CD I downloaded off the Windows website. That went on all night with the machine interminably rebooting. Still hung this morning. So I reinstalled Vista as above (clean) and tried to install W7 from the original upgrade CD. This is hanging also. The reason I haven't gone straight to W8 is that I think I have an image from a few months ago before I upgraded to 8.

Should I be patient and let it carry on even if it is taking a day or more? I have tried to restart and it offers me safe mode but won't let me do it as it is still 'installing'.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm a bit stumped on this one. Just wondering if the hard drive is ok? You could return to factory settings again and run chkdsk. At least this will show that the drive is not the problem, or otherwise. I would also post your problem on the Dell forums about the upgrading failures. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Like this post
TOFF

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave. I did originally run the full Dell diagnostics and all was said to be Ok. The drive is quite new. I will do as you suggest.

Like this post
TOFF

Likes # 0

I've just started restoring from a reasonably W7 image in Vista. Cross fingers but it seems to be working ok. I did this before when my old HDD died but I was rather hoping that I could ditch the old baggage and do a clean install as I have saved my data files separately. Never mind. I should be able to upgrade to W8 from there. What a waste of time.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

At least it's working. When you upgrade again to 8 don't carry over any files or folders. I did it that way yet all my favourites were intact in IE 10.

Like this post
TOFF

Likes # 0

How do I do what you suggest?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

During the Win 8 upgrade install, in the page that asks you what to keep, I selected nothing.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Found this, click here, shows the page and explains better that I can. :)

Like this post
TOFF

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features